1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

video of a Prius being test-crashed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sun__Tzu, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

2. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know it's in the name of safety...but those cars still could have gone on to someone on the list! :mrgreen:

4. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

Heh, oh yeah, I forgot to make a joke about how all this crash-testing must be contributing to the shortage. Umm, everyone think of a funny joke, and then pretend that I said it.

5. woemcats

woemcats New Member

I wonder how the ratings would improve if the side airbags were standard.

6. lasrx

lasrx New Member

7. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

Are you sure the star-ratings for the Prius don't include the side airbags? I tried slowing down the video, but I couldn't tell if it was the glass shattering or airbags deploying.

Also, isn't it kinda weird how the driver and passenger have a different # of stars for the Chevy Suburban and Cadillac Escalade?

8. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The driver and passenger stars are different on the Prius, too.

9. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    yes hard to watch, but where will they dump these cars... just think adding an extra main bat... extra lcd just in case... seats gets torn... put in a newer set... and a big one for northern'ers... extra set of wheels cheap for the snow tires... lots of spare parts..

But in looking at the video... there was no SAB installed. look closely at the driver window far top right 1/2 sec after the hit... no white bag.. and yes it is white, I have had the trim off in this area to install the XMRadio Ant.

FYI, I think the cars are sold for scrap but at at higher price than I would like to pay... you have to show up get it yourself, payment I think is cash, casher's check only.. I think saw something about this on another site and the 2001 Prius crash testing

10. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    They only test the cars with basic equipment, as the NHTSA is footing the bill for the cars - buying them from various dealer lots, etc. (keeping it realistic). If the manufacturer wants SAB testing, they have to provide the cars to do so.

If SAB's were standard, they'd be tested with them.

I'd also like to see the differences - someone asked them a while back and the "official" NHTSA response was something like above - and that generally SAB's add 1 star if any. Search previous threads for the actual reply - it's here in PC.

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would still like parts from the crash. In my town there was a "urban legend" from the Ford plant where I worked summers, of a worker who was in charge of haling trash out to the dump. It was said that he smuggled out a entire Ford Falcon, of various years to the trash dump and in his lunch pail. Picked them up after work and reassembled them in his garage! I do know for a fact that there was a group that was smuggling parts out and selling them. They got busted. Great story at the very least, and I like to think that some where there is a 62, 63, 64, 65 Ford whatever out there still running.