1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Video of how to drive a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by gazz, Aug 13, 2007.

1. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was just thinking the other day how it would be interesting to Video a 30mins drive in a Prius say on the way to work to show what you do and what the terrain is like to get the mpg you get. Has anybody done this? I have a camera just need a way to mount it.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    JUST DRIVE IT!

That has been my advice for the last 7 years. So there's nothing to learn when it comes to what to do.

But if you're interested in seeing operation of the hybrid system from the driver's perspective, there's this 14 minute 30 second video.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, real owner videos will destory the myths about Prius low MPG from the reviewers. Take videos and show the world what the real owners get under real world situations. Especially those owners that are getting very low MPG, take videos and post them! Let us see them! I dare reviewers make similar video of their car reviews.... It is funny how some reviewers in UK review Prius like they review Ferrari. Imagine reviewing a Ferrari driving in an EPA cycle.... It is so wrong.

I upload them to google video instead of youtube because of wide screen ratio support.

I-495 LIE Traffic Congestion Utopia - 70 MPG in Prius (12 minutes)
    Average speed was probably 30 MPH. This was when I was practicing P&G.

Safely follow a truck on the highway with Prius: 65 - 85 MPG (12 minutes)
    The camera battery ran out but it was sweet. The average speed was probably 50 MPH.

Relocate home 23 miles: Prius with fully loaded cargo and got 70 MPG. (50 minutes)
    The traffic was pretty bad and the average speed was probably 20 MPH. I floored the accelerator to test uphill highway merge at around 42mins.

34 MPG - Prius accelerates uphill while recharging the HV battery with the AC on. (21 seconds)
    You got to wonder what those car reviews must be doing to get 34 MPG average in their review.

In all the videos, I had AC on with windows closed to minimize outside noise. Therefore, the road bumps sound really loud in the video -- not so in person. Tire pressure varies between 38/36 to 42/40.

4. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Aug 13 2007, 12:51 PM) [snapback]494792[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for that, they were very interesting, I might give it a go myself.

5. aolm

aolm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Are EV switches in 07 prius? I noticed you "cheat" with the EV switch. Also do you ever drive with the cruise control? I prefer to set the cruise at the slowest possible speed and glide along in the right lane. I usually get 500 miles out of a tank of gas. I know the newer generation cars do not reset mileage automatically with each tank. How many miles do you get per tank? I have never really consciously tried the drafting thing though I often find myself behind trucks in the right lane.

Also I noticed you have "wood" vents. Is this an upgrade with leather?

The video was surprising interesting for us prius geeks who push the MPG envelope. People wonder how to get good MPG. The answer is drive slow and gently...and for you use the EV switch whenever possible.

6. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Since I have "wood vents" and "EV" I'll take a stab.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aolm @ Sep 2 2007, 07:55 AM) [snapback]505785[/snapback]</div>
    In 07 EV is still installed after purchase by the owner. No "blessed" EV installs yet. Maybe in '08, but I've heard conflicting reports on this one.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aolm @ Sep 2 2007, 07:55 AM) [snapback]505785[/snapback]</div>
    Dealer option in my region. The dealer will install them in any year if you bring them your Prius and ask $$ nicely $$.