1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Video of using fluid exchange pump for transaxle....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sorka, Apr 2, 2011.

1. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Just changed my PSD/Transaxle fluid for the first time today at about 58K. It came out a dark purple so I should have done it sooner like 30K. There was almost no material on the magnetic plug.

Note, I'm not wearing gloves but I'm pretty good about not getting old fluid on me after 20+ years of doing my own oil changes. So, just for the record, you should always wear gloves when changing your oil.

5 people like this.
  2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A funnel with a long hose also works well if you don't have the vac pump.

I have changed the transaxle fluid twice; first at 10k and again at 40k (30k interval).

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd suggest to get the car raised and level. So if raising the front end by ramps, you could jack up the back end and put it on safety stands. And then, rather than putting in a measured amount, just keep socking it in, until it finally starts trickling out through the fill hole. The spec'd level is 0~5mm below fill hole lip, I believe. There's also a caution to drive it around a bit and recheck, but I think I would dub it done after the first go.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Nice clean work, and good video, too :)

I never noticed the gap in the cover for the tubing. Cool. Looks easier than snaking the tube from above to the fill hole.