1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VIDEO - Youtuber & Electron Automotive repairs Dead HV Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by offib, Oct 7, 2017.

1. offib

offib Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    That's what it shows.
    Basically a trust-fund kind of youtuber buys a Prius, explains it to the best of his ability, does some really dumb s**t with the cells and fixes a battery. Questionably with salvaged cells which I thought were becoming aless recommended practice.

And don't worry. This isn't fecking Doug DeMuro. I'm not totally evil now.

It's nice to see that the easier method of battery balancing and rebuilding is becoming known to more general audiences.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but how long will it last?

3. offib

offib Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    9 mins I'm afraid. After reinstalling the pack at 5:34 he explains why the car is redeemable for the decade of crap it was given. Which I see Jalopnik is also doing.

bisco likes this.
  4. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tyler Hoover's youtube channel is fun to watch. He always buys these sketchy cars and tries to make himself look like an idiot, but he knows what he is doing. I don't think he is a trust-fund kid. He looks younger than he is, and has a family he provides for. He was a used car dealer for a long time, thus "Hoovies Garage". That's why he bought and sold a lot of Priuses. Sounds like he runs a burger joint now, and also has the Autotrader column and youtube channel.

Here's Why I Went Broke as a Used Car Dealer - Autotrader

I Bought a Cheap Toyota Prius ... With a Dead Hybrid Battery - Autotrader

Apparently the battery kit comes with a warranty, 1 to 5 years depending on how much you want to pay.

#4 Lightning Racer, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    offib likes this.
  5. offib

offib Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks for the links, great reads.
    About the kit, it looks like it's only available in the US - no surprise. But what do they do exactly. They balance the cells, but are the cells from salvaged Gen IIs? Gen IIIs? New?

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, they will ship to any destination, except Germany (due to certification shortcomings, I believe). You just need to supply a power cord. The power socket on the charger uses a standard "D" receptacle just like those that are common on desktop computer power supplies.
    No, as long as your car is not logging any HV battery DTCs, you just are charging the original modules in your own HV battery. When you do a charge/discharge cycle you are doing both a top balance and a bottom balance.

offib likes this.
  7. offib

offib Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks man. Hopefully the same goes for the Hybrid Automotive charger.

Good to know. With the OBDII sensor and after 154,000 miles, my cells have a delta voltage of around 0.15V. ~ 0.5V less at a higher SOC and vica versa. So I think I'm grand.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whoops, my bad, when you said kit I thought HA HV battery grid charger, so my comments were about that.

I have no idea about the replacement module kit, to which you were referring. But it would not surprise me if the only shipped to the continental US states. Besides, warranty claims would be a nightmare for international customers.

If you get in soon enough with a HA grid charger, you won't have to worry about a replacement module kit.

I'd like to know how these replacement module kits stack up in the long run, I doubt the Autotrader guy will post a video when his DIY kit replacement dies.

A good question, one to which I'd be interested to know the answer.

#8 dolj, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    offib likes this.