1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

View Messages Since Last Visit Quirk...

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by efusco, Feb 16, 2004.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Danny,
    When I first log onto the site via the home page and under my avatar there is a link to view posts since my last visit I can click on that, it takes me to a list of posts I haven't read yet. I can click on one of those and read a post. BUT, when I try to go back (via the back button with Netscape 7.1, Win XP) I get a blank screen. I have to go back to the home page, then hit Forum Index then view messages since last visit to get the remaining messages I haven't yet read. I CAN go back to that list after reading each message via that route.

Can you check it out when you get a chance?

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's because that page that shows you the posts since your last visit is actually a search query on the database, so if you look at a post, then go back, it's trying to redo the search and sometimes it won't do it without you hitting refresh (F5) or backing out and clicking the link that intiates the database query again.

Make sense?

3. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But why doesn't that happen if I go Forum Index -> Posts Since Last Visit -> read a post from that list -> back button to Posts since last visit? I only encounter the blank page issue when going from Home page -> Posts since last visit under my Avatar -> read a message -> try to go back to the list.

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, that certainly is a good question :) I'm really not sure... I'll take a look at the code when I get a chance and see if there is any difference between the two.

5. egs

egs Junior Member

Another annoyance with this phpBB (maybe just this rev?) can be recreated as follows: I login in one browser on one machine and I don't finish reading all of the recent posts. Then, when I start another browser on another machine and login to priuschat, all of the posts that I have _not_ read yet are now marked as read so I can't see what is new now. Sigh - enough griping.

Thanks for a great site/community!

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'll be working on that one too, this weekend. :)

Keep the suggestions coming!

7. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Danny,
    Before you spend a lot of time on this, you might wait for comments from others. I have no problem doing what Evan is trying to do. IE 6.0 WinXP.

8. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

9. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I share the same frustration between multiple browsers. I'd love to have it so that my account (server side) remembered what I have and haven't read - not just something cookie based. I miss alot of good threads that way - since PriusChat is one of my home-page tabs, but I don't always get to read it during that browser session.

That or I'll be reading in Windows under Firefox, then get a link for a new thread via email, which by default opens in IE (which is default for my wife), which then resets my last visit stuff again.

When under Linux, I use a single browser and it's less frustrating. Of course the OS isn't at fault, just my choice of browser configuration under each.

-Rick

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ouch...No big deal, I can work around your deficiencies just fine. :p

11. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I share the exact same frustrations - when I came back from Seattle I sat down to read through as much as I could and after about 2 hours I got up, must've closed the window or something, then when I came back, boom, I couldn't figure out what I had read and hadn't read.

[writing down on mental ToDo list]

I'll be moving all of that server side this weekend, as well as upgrading to 2.0.8 and installing a couple of other features (I hope)...

[/writing down on mental ToDo list]