1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vigil in Providence, RI tonight for 1000 war dead

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by prius04, Sep 9, 2004.

1. prius04

prius04 New Member

I just checked my email and found out there is a vigil in Providence RI at 7PM to honor the 1000 American war dead in Iraq.

There are apparently 940 or so similar vigils all across the USA tonight.

I'm still at work staying late to read some email and found this out.

The Federal Building in Kennedy Plaza in Providence RI is 45 minutes away and it starts in 50 minutes.

Gotta go......

Any one interested they can go to moveon.org and find out about others.

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Brought to you by moveon.org ????? Hmmmm, smacks of a political statement and not a true attempt to “ . . .honor the 1000 American war dead . . .â€

Thousand to one odds they protest the war and president - at the expense of truly honoring our fallen heros.

Just one retired veteran’s musing.

3. prius04

prius04 New Member

Please answer me this.

Do you call Bush's call to honor the soldiers patriotic or political?

And if Bush is patriotic when he calls for such a thing, why is it that others have to be slandered when they do the same?

4. Smooth Operator

Can one not honor the individuals who made the ultimate sacrifice, while disagreeing with those who put them into the position of making the ultimate sacrifice?

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    As the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, what would YOU say if he remained silent? Therein lies your answer.
    He MUST make that "Call to Honor."

I have no qualms about anyone exercising their right to protest - but a memorial is neither the time or place, unless your ulterior motive is to denigrate the fallen soldier and what they stood for. The fact that this “vigil†was organized by moveon.org , a self proclaimed Political Action Committee, is in itself self-evident that this was a political stunt, and done so in very bad taste! As an example: Someone attends a gay wedding, and during the ceremony protests that gays are the reason for the spread of AIDS! Disingenuous in the least, and in very poor taste too! (My wife and I do have gay friends, so don’t try to go there . . . it is an example.)

Why is it that moveon.org PAC planned this event to coincide with the one thousandth war casualty? Of course it was for maximum political impact - because all news outlets would be running the milestone story - not as an attempt to honor the war heros to the max! It is just a blatant misdirect of “honor the war dead†into a political message.

So what you are saying is that you disagree with the soldier for putting themselves in harms way.
    We have an all volunteer military!
    If you are attending a memorial for the fallen soldier and then proclaiming to speak-up on their behalf, you are either insincere or naive.

If you want to honor the fallen soldier, do so. If you want to protest the war, the president, the military, the whatever - you can do that too. Just don’t try to mix the two.

6. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Of course you can both honor our fallen and you can disagree with the government that put them there.

But you can't do both at the same time.

7. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Would anyone care to also spare a thought for the 18000+ Iraqis, including 11000+ civilians, that those 1000 Americans killed?

8. rflagg

rflagg Member

uh, an aside here - moveon.org and moveonpac.org are two seperate entities run by the same people. If you give money and support moveonpac.org, its for political action. Moveon.org put the vigils on last night and demanded that no one use this as a protest arena, that it was simply to honor the fallen - both US soldiers and innocent civilians. As an fyi to all those thinking everything is always political.

It's the equivalent of thinking buying a heinz product directly supports John Kerry.
    -m.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There is nothing contradictory about honoring the bravery and sacrifice of the soldiers while excoriating the dishonesty and cowardice of those who sent them to war.

As for being political, G.W.B. cannot mention the fallen dead without using their deaths as a reason for continuing his failed policies. ("If we pull out now they will have died in vain," he says.)

10. prius04

prius04 New Member

I got the email from moveon.org about this vigil. Right there on their web site where it told me how to get to the right place, it asked me to pledge NOT to make this vigil political in any way.

That the vigil WAS ONLY to honor the fallen.

Attendees were asked specifically to NOT protest the war and to NOT attack Bush. We had to make a pledge to this end.

Somehow I can't envision the neocons doing a similar thing when they meet.

And as for politics, I'm with Daniel. With this President, EVERYTHING is about politics.

And at the rally last night that had about 150 people in Providence, I found everyone quite respectful. It was clear those people loved their country very much.

I remember in High School I was in a debating class. One debating technique I read about was how if you don't want to face your opponents factual points, you can attack his motives. And this can result in everyone forgeting the points made and instead talking about the motives or honor of the speaker.

Of course, it you used such a tactic in class you LOST points. But as the election of 2000 clearly showed us, if you use those techniques in real life, you can get almost elected President. And then with the right friends, you can turn that almost win into a real win.

11. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Thank You Prius04 for being right on the money. Love my Prius!

12. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

At the Dallas vigil there was an incident between a family who had just lost a husband/son/brother the day before and some vocal critics who among other things, told the family that their loved one died for no reason. I'm proud to be a Texan and I'm even prouder to be a Democrat, but I think actions like these do nothing more than alienate undecided moderates to vote Republican. Well, that's my two cents.

13. rflagg

rflagg Member

Granted, it was completely wrong of anyone to attack this grieving family, bigbaldcuban, they need nothing but sympathy, kindness, and all the respect in the world - but usually when one lashes out, it's because there's some truth in what the aggravator says.

The point is, 1,000 + soldiers have died for almost nothing. It will be years, at the earliest, before Iraq is "secure" and decent - if at all. Did I want Saddam gone? Of course. If I was asked if I had to choose between Saddam staying in power or losing a family member or loved one, which choice do you think I'd take?

But, like I said, you are right - these people should not have to face the possible reality that their family member died for no reason or purpose, they should have time to mourn his/her loss without interference.

-m.

14. Smooth Operator

Well, that has to be the biggest non-sequiter I've read in a long time. Probably since the Viet Nam War.

I believe that the vast majority of US military personnel enlisted for one of two reasons. Some are truely dedicated individuals who either believe it is a righteous responsibility to serve one's country by protecting it militarily or felt it as a "calling" as some people feel a "calling" to the clergy or altruistic work.

Others see military service as one of the few ways that they can escape the poverty that so many Americans face. Military service is one of the few ways for non-outstanding young people to get access to skilled job training and college.

(BTW, I don't think these motivations are mutually exclusive.)

So there is no conflict between honoring those who make a decision to enter the military and disagreeing with those who determine a specific, or policy, determination of the assignment of military personnel.

15. Smooth Operator

I found the following link interesting:

http://bodegabay.blogs.com/north_coast_cur...ainstream_.html

Back in July, it said "The Navy Times" reported 1,000 deaths while AP was reporting a lower number. The difference was apparently because AP did not include 6 "non-hostile homocides", 33 deaths by illness, 34 self-inflicted deaths (suicides), and 200 accidental deaths.

16. jayjohnson

jayjohnson New Member

Iraq

It's amazing to me that so many have already determined, without any doubt, that removing Saddam and trying to establish a democratic government in Iraq is terribly wrong.

I must not be as smart as these people because I believe it will take ten years or more before we truly know the complete impact of this action. I'm not sure what it will be, but I believe we need to give it some time. Of course, I realize that there are those who are opposed to ANYTHING that Bush and the Republicans do or stand for. I think this attitude is unfair no matter who it is directed against.

This opinion comes to you from an independent who has voted for all the major parties at one time or another.

17. prius04

prius04 New Member

I would like to make a comment about this war. Getting rid of Saddam was a great thing and I'm proud that the USA was helpful in that regard.

However, there are NUMEROUS reasons to be angry at Bush's misleadership in this war.

First off, the evidence in March of 2003 when our war started, that Saddam had anything to do with 9/11 was minimal and all the evidence since then has proven to all but partisans that there was no connection.

Secondly, all the evidence in March of 2003 that Saddam was anything more than a bit player in world terrorism was quite clear and since our war started all the evidence has proven that he really was a bit player in world terrorism.

Yes, he used gas against his own people, but he did that during the Reagan administration!!!!

3rd, the way Bush carried out his war with his pretend coalition has made the USA extremely vulnerable. (The largest military group in Iraq is the USA with 130,000, the second biggest military group in Iraq IS NOT BRITAIN!. The second biggest group working with our military are American private contractors with about 30,000 and then Britain with I think about 20,000 then the numbers of all the other groups plummets.)

But without the world on our side and in Iraq with us, the hatred for the USA has skyrocketed and the numbers that have joined Al Qaida and similar groups has also skyrocketed. The numbers who have professed support for suicide bombers has also skyrocketed.

4th, Bush's lack of planning has now resulted in increasing chaos in both Iraq and Aphganistan. The way he got rid of Saddam has a very real possibility in resulting in the Iraqi people being MUCH worse off, though I'm still hopeful.

So, Bush goes around saying we are safer. Indeed, many partisans point to the lack of a terrorist act in the USA as proof. Yet the first Al Qaida attack in the USA was in 1993 and the second one was in 2000 and the 3rd in 2001. So if Bush is so wonderful for keeping us safe for 3 years, Clinton must be a hero for keeping us safe from Al Qaida for 7!! But somehow I don't see Republican's saying this.

But I think the evidence is overwhelming that Bush actually put the war on terrorism on hold so he could go have his adventure in Iraq. And now the US Army is spread so thin that it may be years before we can get back to the war on terror.

And Bush made us safer? How come we are not tripping over geiger counters at our airports and shipping ports? (And don't say maybe they are there but just hidden, I know for a fact that there are only a few. The shipping port of New York just got their first large size geiger counter this past May, fully 2 1/2 years after 9/11???)
    Anthrax detectors? We had them at the Olympics so we know they exist. How come they are not in all our Post Offices?

And I'll tell you why we Americans are not safer. Our President is Southern in more than his accent. He truly has the plantation owner mentality. To him, the common American is just the hired help and the real soul of America is the elite that run our corporations. Now this is not how he talks, but this is clearly how he acts. This explains his focus on those corporations almost to the exclusion of the people.

George Bush may be an honorable man that truly believes that focusing on the elite is in the best interest of American progress and prosperity.

I don't. I believe that the 20th century in the USA was the greatest century in the history of this planet. And that had to do with empowering the common man and putting limits on the elite so the elite could no longer misuse the common man.

Sorry about this rant. But I love this country and I fear where we are going under GW's leadership. He is likely to be re-elected. So be it. I'll be OK because I've got a good deal of money put away and I'm nearing retirement. (In fact, I benefited from Bush's tax cuts, so argueable I should be voting for him. But I care more for the long range future of the USA over my own short term financial gain.)

But if he is re-elected and gets a Republican congress that lets him continue his plans, the set back for common Americans will be immense. And setting back common Americans will set back America.

The rich will thrive through it no matter what happens. They always do. But America will not.

18. jchu

jchu New Member

Prius04,
    Rant or not, I think more are with you than against you on this board with respect to your points. And would have many others to add (such as the heavy weighting of the tax cuts toward the rich, and gutting the Clean Air Act, and writing and passing a Medicare Presciption Benefit program that does little to benefit the elderly but is a windfall for the drug companies, and the non-funding of their own "No Child Left Behind Act, and his faith based initiative whose funding has ONLY gone to Christian groups (no other religions need apply), and... , and..., and...)

Just My Two Cents,

Jon

19. prius04

prius04 New Member

Thanks Jon,

But I don't rant for those who already see beyond the corporate media. I rant for those who are still deceived by that corporate media.

It's probably already too late for 2004, and if my fears are realized, so much damage will be done to common Americans, and to our reputation in the world, that it may just be too late.

To me, the OPTIMISTIC view is that mainly common American's will suffer due to Bush's policies, but there is a pessimistic view as well.

That view is that there won't be an America in 4 years, nor an England, nor a France, nor an Israel nor an Iraq.

I truly suspect that a Bush win in 2 months will mean that we will be invading Iran by next Christmas, and since we don't have the troops, we'll deal with "Men-Tal-ee-Il", of North Korea atomically.

This President is just wacky enough to really do it.

And who knows the consequences of that kind of plan?

(And invading Iran WON'T be a cakewalk like the first 90 days of Iraq was.)

20. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you “care more for the long range future of the USA†and think the tax codes are all messed up, why don’t you make a stand and not pocket that extra tax savings. Stop being such a hypocrite and give the government “its money†back!!!!