1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VIN etchings on Prius 05

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by italyfilez, Mar 5, 2006.

1. italyfilez

italyfilez New Member

I received a new insurance policy and it says that customers can get a discount if they have VIN etchings on the parts of their cars. Does the 05 Prius hae those. I know there are labels on the car. Is that the same thing or do they mean something else entirely?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    if you got the "toyoguard" package, you will have the VIN etched on your windows.

3. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I said I didn't want the Toyoguard and all the dealer did was peal off the 2 window stickers that said Protected by Toyoguard.
    So the parts must still have the numbers, just not registerd with Toyoguard.

4. madams

madams New Member

Actually, I had it done when I went to pick up by 05. They had little sheets of paper with stencil cutouts and put one on each piece of glass on the car and used a bottle with a sponge that had acid in it on the stencils and bing, bing, boom! They removed the stencils and all the glass on the car was etched with that number. I sent the paperwork to the insurance company and got my discount. :D

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I haven't, but, has anyone heard of a Prius being stolen? :huh:
    Any links as proof it happens?

6. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Aug 31 2006, 01:37 PM) [snapback]312257[/snapback]</div>
    How are they going to steal one? They gotta figure out how to start it first!

Apparently just that happened somewhere around Raleigh a few weeks ago. The car-jacker couldn't start the car.

Regarding the VIN etching, I recall reading in Consumer Reports once about a company that you can order the VIN stencils from and do it yourself. You send them your number and they make the stencils for you.

7. ambrothe

ambrothe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA @ Sep 13 2006, 08:53 PM) [snapback]319229[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, just check out EBay (I did mine for the insurance "discount," which actually turned out to be nothing because of the other disabling devices on the car). It's a pretty easy process, and exactly the same that the dealer does. Just make sure you press the stickers on evenly, and leave the gel on the windows as long as it says, and it will look like a professional job.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i didn't get any discount :( nc insurance has stupid laws.

PA, where'd you hear about the attempted carjack in raleigh? i'd love to hear more, for a good laugh ;)

9. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 13 2006, 10:29 PM) [snapback]319269[/snapback]</div>
    A co-worker said it was from a surveillance video from a Target store, but he can't remeber exactly where he saw it. He said in the video the lights were flashing on & off, etc. as the car-jacker was trying to figure out how to start the thing. I'll post a link if I can find it.