1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Violence against Prius at all-time high

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by 4G63, Sep 6, 2008.

1. 4G63

4G63 I quit boosting

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Violence Against Prius Hybrids Hits All-Time High
    jesus christ i really dont understand the point of doing it. the prius is just a car which comsumes less gas and produces less waste. people buy prii to save gas money and help the world breathe a little better... why bother? :mad:

2. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    That's a damn shame...

Dave

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it's the same people who buy into all the scary stuff that fell
    out of the RNC, and think they have some gawd-given right to
    waste as much fuel and other resource as they want because the
    rapture is coming anyways so it won't matter long-term and these
    people who keep trying to see past the next tent revival are just
    not true americans.
    I've got news for them with regard to where they're headed after
    said rapture, but I don't think they want to listen...
    _H*

4. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

I bought mine because I'm cheap, and love the techie toys available in the car. In this day and age I suspect a Prius is more a self-defense mechanism against rising gas prices with more people than it is a green play. I also suspect everyone may need to buy something similar sooner or later, we're just slightly ahead of the curve.

So is being cheap, loving techie toys, and maybe not wanting to transfer more of our wealth to our enemies good enough reasons to burn my car...?

5. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Yes, you may be the said self proclaimed "cheap" person, you say you are (forgive me, it's late and I'm tired)...but it's not really a "cheap" car, is it. People have been paying a good dollar for these, and etcetera...I guess what I'm saying here is, for the money I paid to acquire our Prius, I'd be fuming mad if someone vandalized mine!

6. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Mine is in the garage during the night, but if someone vandalizes it they better hope they aren't in range and have good health insurance, because I don't miss very often. (I did have 1 out of 50 shots go wild during concealed weapon testing, the other 49 were in a tight little group. My wife beat me by one point with a very loose grouping, because none of hers were off the paper. 246 vs. 245...I'll never live it down, but that's okay by me. I got my shots off in about 1/3 to 1/2 the time.)

7. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'll bet this vandalism was done by OPEC trust-fund kids living here in the United States. I park my car inside a gated community at night. Neither my family nor any of my neighbors has ever had a problem with vandalism. I suggest parking your Prius cars inside a garage at night if any of those 18-year old U.A.E. trust fund kids lives near you.

(note: this is pure speculation for entertainment value and has no real basis nor substantive evidence. This is in no way intended to be racist or discriminatory against U.A.E. trust fund kids)

8. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Actually, it isn't that expensive, depending on what you were considering... I was considering a small SUV that was going to run me upwards of $35-45,000 (yes, one of the nicer ones), and THAT was going to use premium gas. So I made out like a bandit.

Now, if you compare it to crap cars that have a 5 to 7 year life, yea, it's more expensive, but it sure is built better. My last Toyota lasted 20 years, hopefully this one will do better than the 6 years my Skylark lasted before it was too worn out to sell. Finally got rid of that for $75.

I also would be fuming mad if someone vandalized mine. None of these things were my point... :)

9. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry for this offtopic :
    ok in america you can carry a gun OK but wy use it?
    just beat the crap out of that guy or use a bat,, maybe even call 911
    and if thats not working then can you use your gun.

10. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Looks like the same incident as discussed here. The car's owner jumps into the discussion in post 16.

11. nyty-nyt

nyty-nyt Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Have the police looked into whether the owners are gang members: sounds sort of like gang retribution.
    Seriously, when I hear or see extreme hypermilers crawling along well below the speed limit on highways, albeit in the right lane, or holding traffic up along city streets below the speed limit, I wonder what ICE drivers think. This is probably the radical fringe expressing those thoughts.
    I try for the best mileage I can get without getting honked, fingered or yelled at when there are other cars following me, and go for my best mileage when I'm alone on city streets. So far, 3.8 l/100k, no honks, no fingers and no expletives. Oh, and no vandalism.

12. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

The LA car attack was not Prius specific. The Arsonist(s) did in several other non-Prius cars. Looks like Edmunds is playing the FUD game here, as they left that bit out.

13. Malarkey

Malarkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a very strong feeling that most/all of these incidents are just random at a vehicle - and maybe towards a Prius because it does stand out a bit. In other words, not directed at the Prius to make a statement.

Beyond that, it's possible that they are directed at the owner, again not at a Prius to make a statement about the car.

Maybe people are nicer or just don't give a hoot in the North East.

Having said that, I do believe Prius Rage exists in a limited form. I've had peeps in trucks or kids in a sports car flipping me the bird on the highway (where I go with the flow of traffic in the right most lane unless I'm in a hurry, in which case I'm leading or keeping up with the fast lane).. Have had a lot of cars and driven hundreds of thousands of miles, and only ever saw that kind of thing when I clearly had done something stupid to deserve it.

14. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Three words: SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP!

15. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i wonder if anyone is keeping score to find out which is higher, prius getting vandalized or the amount of SUVs being vandalized by the earth liberation front

16. Stefx

Stefx Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That article is blowing one event out of proportions.

17. BFAyer

BFAyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    And you know this how? Sounds pretty bigoted to me.

18. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Government propaganda has convinced these attackers that, just like Mexicans, gays and blacks ...... Prius owners are bad m'kay. :rolleyes: Those dirty, elite, radical-left tree huggers just must be stopped!

If we had leadership without such an incredible vested interest in fosil fuels, the fire would not be getting stoked as much for sure. Until that happens, look for much more of the same.

I do agree, however, that this isn't some kind of epidemic ...... yet.

Of course it takes an idiot to fall for such obvious party rhetoric, but there is NO shortage of this in America. :)

... Brad

19. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i'm going to change the emblems to read chevy and malibu, i cover my harley with a suzuki cover and blacked out the honda on my generator

20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Stuff happens and it is easy to read-in to yesterday's news, 3-4 months ago, today's events. For there to be wide-spread attacks, there usually is some 'call to action'.

To the best of my knowledge, that last time there was a 'politically correct' commercial against a car was 2004. It was the "Club for Growth" commercial and cited ". . . latte-drinking, sushi-eating, Volvo-driving, . . ." To the best of my knowledge, there wasn't a sudden rash of Volvo vehicle attacks. But I don't know, in Alabama we just roll that sushi stuff in a little corn meal and fry it right up or bait a hook.

Bob Wilson