1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Violent Shudder

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cnowels, Aug 22, 2008.

1. cnowels

cnowels New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have had my new 2008 Prius for about 3 months now and am loving it!

One odd thing that I've been wondering about though.....

While at work, my Prius sits in the sun and we've been having 90+ degree days fairly consistently. When I leave, I drive about one block out of the parking lot and then have to stop at a stoplight (that takes a long time to turn green). While I'm sitting at that stoplight, the gas engine is not running. However, I will get a quite violent shudder throughout the car that is coming from the engine compartment. It only lasts for a second or two, but it does concern me. It is much stronger than the slight rumble caused when the engine turns on.

I have tried not have the AC on as well - thinking that it was struggling to run that when it was so hot. But that didn't make any difference.

Anyone know what this might be? Since the engine is off, what could cause such a strong vibration?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Normally the shudder is from the engine shutting down. Are you absolutely positive that the engine is already off? I'm betting it's not.

Tom

3. cnowels

cnowels New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, the engine is definitely off. The screen shows that it is off - and there is no noise coming from the engine.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My initial thought was in agreement with Tom. It is common for the Prius to get in a mode where it will idle very quietly and then shudder to a stop. There are technical terms and Motor/Generator names but let's keep it simple.

The arrows represent the flow of energy. They do not always show when the engine is running. I know how weird that sounds but it's true. I know what you're thinking: if the engine were running then why isn't it charging the battery?

Now, since you are insisting that the engine is indeed off then I'm not sure.

5. cnowels

cnowels New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well.....now that you explain it like that, I'm beginning to doubt myself. I'll have to roll the window down tonight or something to try to make sure.

Still....it is a quite violent shudder. Definitely don't experience it like that at any other time.

6. Brodie

Brodie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just because the little engine diagram doesn't show the engine on doesn't mean it's not on. My Prius does the same thing, but I've noticed that it has gotten better as the car has broken in (mine is 5 months old now). It's a little disconcerting to feel the car "shut off" at a traffic light but I don't think it's anything unusual.

7. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The shut down shudder is most common with new engines, and cold engines. It's completely normal. The control system on the Prius parks the engine in a way to make restarting easy and clean. If it misses the correct spot, it will cycle the engine around again until it gets it right. This causes the shuddering that you feel.

As others have stated, the MFD screen shows energy flow, not engine state. The engine can be idling away warming up and not show on the screen. It's very quiet in this mode, so it's easy to think it is off.

Tom

8. zymog

zymog New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Mine has the same shudder when cold.

9. Wa1hog

Wa1hog Old Blind Hippie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Makes me shutter when I think about it.

10. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Probably just a sideband from one of your radios.

Tom

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Tom,

I'm wondering if anyone can provide a Toyota technical citation for this, as I've not come across this concept before.
    Thanks!

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Toyota citation I can not but I know it's been discussed around here a few times by the "know-it-alls". By whom I mean those people who really do know it all. As in, since they were discussing it I'm willing to accept it as truth. Perhaps one of them will chime in with a link.

13. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It came up in discussions with Toyota engineering, as I recall, but I don't have any documentation. My only reference is word of mouth on this forum, so it seems likely but is not proven. Supposedly the system burns off any fuel and then uses MG1 to power the engine around to a good position for easy restarting.

Tom

14. Bobwho

Bobwho New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The only way to know for certain that the ICE is off is to use a scan gauge. or have the hood open and shove your head under it. Far easier to get a scan gauge than to run around in traffic opening and closing your hood just to find out if the engine is running.

Wait for a group buy and get a scan gauge, this will also allow you to find out if there are any codes being generated. No codes + tachometer = knowledge.

15. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Bobwho,

Some of us have engine tachometers hooked through the OBDII port.

16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Tony & Tom:

I'm bumping this to see whether there are other replies to my query about a Toyota technical citation supporting the premise that the ICE is intended to stop only at a particular crankshaft position.

We know that MG1 spins the ICE up to idle speed before the ICE is started. Consider that ICE idle speed is ~1,000 rpm, hence 17 revolutions per second or 0.06 seconds per revolution. The ICE is a traditional four cylinder, four-stroke engine, so two cylinders will fire per crankshaft revolution.

If there was an ideal crankshaft position for the ICE to park itself while waiting for the next hybrid vehicle command to start up, the difference between the ideal position vs. any other position would at most be half (since two cylinders can fire per crankshaft revolution) of 0.06 seconds, or 0.03 seconds. I do not think that an ICE startup difference of 0.03 seconds would be noticeable to the driver or passengers; hence I question the premise that it matters where the ICE crankshaft position stops.

I've reviewed the Toyota hybrid tech training documents, the 2001/2004 New Car Features Manual, and the Toyota repair manual; and have not noticed any reference to this premise.

17. Ian MacDonald

Ian MacDonald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hmmm, if the ICE is always spun up before ignition (my assumption), why would it matter the current crank shaft position at the moment when MG1 starts it spinning? Aren't the valves all open at this point in time as well to allow the ICE to spin freely?

Curious,

-- Ian

18. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The usual reason for parking an engine at a particular point is to control what happens when it is sitting. It's not a issue of having it in the proper launch position. Some positions are more prone to the accumulation of unburned fuel and lubricating oil, which will result in smoke during the starting cycle.

On a single cylinder engine, the easiest way to prevent this is to run the piston up and build a little pressure against the closed valves. With a four cylinder engine you can't do it to all of the cylinders at the same time, so that would be a problem.

As this discussion progresses, it seems more likely that the shutdown maneuver is strictly an exercise in removing unburned fuel.

Tom

19. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Ian,

The Prius valvetrain is relatively simple:
    • the exhaust valve side is controlled by a traditional camshaft, nothing tricky.
    • the intake valve side is controlled by a camshaft that has a sprocket whose position relative to the camshaft can be controlled by engine oil pressure, to allow variable intake valve timing.
    However, there is no provision to allow all valves to be simultaneously opened or closed.

Hi Tom,

OK - if this is a concern, then the solution could be for the engine ECU to cut power to the four fuel injectors so that no new fuel is entering the intake manifold; then have the hybrid vehicle ECU direct MG1 to spin the engine for a few revolutions while the engine ECU continues to energize the spark igniters in firing order sequence, so that the spark plugs can ignite whatever residual fuel/air mixture remains.

However, I have not seen this documented as a feature...

20. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Patrick,

This is the closest I've seen to documentation supporting the premise of seeking the optimal valve position upon shutdown. I knew I had read this somewhere but couldn't remember where. This is a link to hobbit's techie site:

http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/valvetmg.png

* Take note of the last frame.