1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VIP Alarm install $288 Plus parts?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ScubaX, Jun 3, 2005.

1. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I called two local Toyota dealers for a price to install the VIP alarm. I already bought the GBS/VIP kit. Labor will be $288 from one and if I install the GBS myself, they will drop to $198. The other dealer gave $340 for the install.

If I install the GBS myself, why would it still cost $198 in labor to turn it on? The mechanic said the GBS is the easy part. :pukeright:

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Actually, the GBS is not the easy part. The easy part is activating the alarm and GBS using the scan tool. You will need the scantool with Toyota's software in order to complete the installation. But then, getting access to that yellow wire is easy in concept, but may be hard to reach. The instruction mislabels the connector on the Prius. I believe it is actually B6.

By the way, I'll let you in on a secret: you already had the alarm without GBS, but since you didn't pay for it, it was deactivated by the factory. It was found that as long as GBS is not installed, the alarm can be activated using the scan tool. If you do install the GBS, then the yellow wire seems to cause the enable option on the scanner to disappear. I don't know if you can activate the alarm, then install the GBS and still have the alarm active. If so, you can then activate the GBS.

If you take a trip to Salt Lake City, Kyle at one of the dealers there would be happy to activate the alarm for you.

3. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I always wanted to take a trip to Salt Lake City :)

Yea, I know the easy part is turning it on with the scanner. But the dealer saying other wise just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling about them and their honesty.

It would be nice if this scan tool were available to other mechanics. Then I could shop around. I don't mind paying a fair price for an alarm and install, but spending $288 labor plus $90 for the alarm seems a bit excessive for a basic alarm system.

I am sure I could install the GBS myself. But why bother when they are still going to charge $200.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

It's not all the dealer's fault. I believe that is the MSRP of that option. The price of GBS only (for those with an already enabled alarm from factory) and VIP with GBS should be about the same price for parts and labor, say maybe an additional 15 minutes to disconnect that yellow wire. What I believe you are really paying for is the rights to have the alarm. Many software packages and even network appliances come fully equipped but you need an unlocking key to activate the items you hadn't yet paid for.
    When it comes to a feature of a car that is really more hardware than anything else, and is a simple feature, like an anti-theft alarm, it should be standard.

5. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealer told me when selling me the Prius that it has an alarm. He just forgot to mention that it cost $$ to turn it on. Now of course they deny telling me it had an alarm.

My two previous new cars, a Ford Mustang and a Nissan Xterra had alarms standard. Also, those dealerships were way more honest throughout my ownerships of 3 years each than Toyota has been in just 3 months of ownership.

6. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"96025)</div>
    I called my dealer about adding the alarm to my Package 4 Prius and was quoted a price of $377.00! I talked to the service manager who said that the alarm was not activated via the scan tool. He said a circuit board with some wires and the GBS were added. I believe he called it a V-5 Alarm system.

If these were added, I would have the Alarm, no scan tool needed.

Bob

7. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought the Toyota VIP alarm from an online Toyota Parts. That includes the GBS and instructions on how to turn on the alarm with the scan tool. The GBS includes a Mic, wires and a control box. That box may have a circuit board inside. The rest is already in the Option 4 Prius.

It is this kind of BS from the Toyota dealers that will send me straight back to Nissan or Ford for my next vehicle. Toyota's are reliable so you don't have to see the dealer too much, but when you do you get a very bad taste in your mouth. So far in my 3 months of ownership, they have lied, conned and out right stole from me. Even the online Toyota Parts dealer misrepresented the VIP alarm as a self install. If they were not selling at Toyota, they would all be in prison.

8. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScubaX\";p=\"102701)</div>
    Were you able to install the GBS? Do you still have the paperwork? Could you scan and upload it?

Thanks,
    Bob

9. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not bothered to install the GBS since they charge nearly as much as if they do the install. The Toyota dealer I bought it from forgot to include the instructions and then sent them to me in PDF. The instructions do refer to it as a TVIP V5 (RS3200 PLUS). So there is the V5. The GBS only instructions are V2. I have both the GBS and VIP with GBS installs on PDF. Do you want them both? Where should I send them? You can PM me your email address.

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

If you look at the thread "Suppressing All Beeps", Kyle, who is a Toyota Prius Master Tech, provided the steps on the Toyota scan tool that would activate the alarm. If the GBS is installed, it seems the needed option disappears until a yellow wire is removed from the body ECU connector.