1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VIP Security and Remote Start

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by footballfangb, Aug 20, 2010.

1. footballfangb

footballfangb Junior Member

Model:
    III
    I live in Wisconsin and am looking into buying a 2010 Prius III and was wondering if the Remote Start and VIP Security accessories are worth it. Anybody have any comments?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't like Toyota's remote start... Honda does theirs the same way. When you start the car using it and then open the drivers door it kills the engine. So now you have to get in and restart it again. It should work like most aftermarket systems where it kills the engine only if the brake is pressed before the key is in the ignition, our our case, the key is in the car...

3. Savantster

Savantster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm in Wisconsin as well, and today my remote start wouldn't start the car :(

This is probably a good thread to ask this question in, so I'll revive it :D

I tried to start it twice, and neither time did it "start", so I bundled up and went out and sat in it and ran the remote start to see what was going on. Turns out, the engine would spin up and sounded like it started, but it immediately shut down..? I thought it might be too cold for the Prius (it was only 5-F out, should not have been "too cold", but you never know).. but when I pressed the button on the dash, the car started and stayed running _just fine_.

So, the question is, is there a setting or adjustment that can be made so the OEM starter doesn't shut off the ICE as soon as it starts when it's "really cold" out? The entire _reason_ I got the remote was to avoid going outside when it is that cold, it does me _no good_ to have a remote starter if it only works in nice weather.

Any insights?