1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

vip security + wheel lock

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by chip_designer, Jul 16, 2009.

1. chip_designer

chip_designer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    IV
    Hello,

the car that is available (IV) to buy, have a wheel locks and VIP rs3200 added .

I could go to another dealer and buy the same model (IV) without these 2 additions.

the wheel lock is only $67. Not big deal, but I never had it in previous cars (mercedez, bmw)

the vip rs3200 is $359, maybe if I were to buy a car alarm at Best Buy, it would probably cost the same.

I just want to hear from someone, help me to decide on this.

Thanks,

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The VIP RS3200 is far more integrated than any "Best Buy" alarm could ever hope to be. Granted, it's also not quite as featureful. That being said, shock sensors (not part of the VIP RS3200 - only glass break) are not so great when the trash truck drives by making too much noise.

I had it installed on my car at port. My dad had a dealer added 3rd party alarm done and doesn't care for it (horn honks, etc.).

That being said, if you do go third party, make sure whatever they use integrates w/ factory keyless entry to avoid two fobs. Also make sure they take the time to pull good wiring diagrams as the 2010 is not very similar to the 2004-2009 in wiring (the installer on my dad's car called it "backwards" from the previous gen).

3. wave_slider

wave_slider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm perfectly happy with the VP3 system and have it on both our cars. It doesn't false all the time which is great and the best thing is that it integrates with the smart key fob.

2 people like this.
  4. nineinchnail1024

nineinchnail1024 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I hate car thieves, so I doubled up with the RS3200 and LoJack. Having said that, no one wants to steal prius wheels, and $67 for wheel locks is RI-FREAKING-DICULOUS. Get the dealer to chop the cost of the locks. They're $15 at pep-boys. (I'd rather not have them anyway. People have a tendency to lose the keys, and they are comically easy to defeat.)

1 person likes this.
  5. chip_designer

chip_designer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    IV
    Rick,

I wanted to get a prius III with just vip factory installed.

Seems like it is not usually found on dealer lots.

1) The dealer told me he can ask service to install it.

my concern is, it will not be factory installed, and can you trust that whoever do it, willl do it just as if it were factory installed?

2) there was car like that, but it was already pre sold. I am just waiting if they find it, they call me.

3) since there is no price negotiation, and I am not in rush, maybe i can put a deposit $500 or make an order request with exactly what i want.

Rick, what do you think of item 1) above. Do you think I should buy the car, and ask the dealer to installed it? or make an order request?

thanks