1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Viper Remote Start, HID kit, and LED lighting install under way

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by 2015Prius2, Mar 14, 2013.

1. 2015Prius2

2015Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Started out by swapping the running lights out for LED's from superbrightleds.com. I have been using that site for years with no issues. I've used them to purchase all of my led's on my last vehicle and even all the interior/exterior lights on my toy hauler.

Here is a link:

2012 Toyota Prius C LED Replacement Bulbs | LED Lights for Cars | 12v | Super Bright LEDs

image.jpg

I also did the dome lights with the same bulbs (major difference in brightness since the C1 only has the dome light assembly for interior lighting). I will try to post those pics tonight. And I have ordered two more for the license plate lamps.

Here is a pic showing the stock bulbs on the passenger side and the LED on the driver side

image.jpg

I should be receiving the hid kit from xenon supply tomorrow and will post pics of that on Saturday, I went with the 35w 4300k setup. I can't wait to see the difference.

image.jpg

And lastly I will be installing the Viper 5704 with Smart Start GPS on Saturday morning and will post more info/pictures then.

image.jpg

I might have to edit this post if it turns out funky lol, this is my first time posting from an ipad

When I upload pictures, what is the preferable method? Thumbnail or full size?

2. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    the way you are posting pictures works for me! 13inch laptop, iphone, ipad = all good

3. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, I love the difference in the brightness of the lights. I may have to look into that...

4. 2015Prius2

2015Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think it gives the car a little classier look without trying to look like an import racer wannabe. It does tend to make the low beams kinda yellow in comparison though. The hid's should help with that

5. novasquid

novasquid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Subscribed! Looking forward to seeing pics and reading more about the Viper install.

6. 2015Prius2

2015Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll make sure to take a bunch of pictures

I had ordered a DBall bypass module for it and just found this morning that the C1 doesn't have the chipped key and will not need the module So unless anything more important comes along, I should have the alarm installed in an hour or two on Saturday morning

7. novasquid

novasquid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Is the DBall module for the SKS keys?

8. 2015Prius2

2015Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is what it looks like, the only firmware option for the DBall for a Prius C is for the smart key, I checked and found there is no chip in the key of the C1, so in turn no bypass is needed.

9. Mo G

Mo G Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Wow man, your lights looks awesome. Which ones did you order for your parking lights? Was it the "194 CAN Bus LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Wedge Base Tower" or the " 194 LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Wide Angle Wedge Base"?

10. 2015Prius2

2015Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I ordered the "WLED-xHP15-TAC: 194 LED Bulb - 15 SMD LED Wedge Base Tower WLED-CWHP15-TAC: Cool White" here is a screenshot

I used the same ones for the dome lights also, I am still a little confused on the canbus deal, I ordered the non canbus 15 led and see no problems yet. I left the running lights on for a half hour and didn't notice any additional heat, can anybody chime in on the need or not of a canbus running light bulb on a "C"? So far so good on the non canbus bulbs
    image.jpg

11. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    no need to run canbus bulbs on the prius c since it doesn't use that kind of system. Newer cars like BMW/Benz usually run require canbus.

12. 2015Prius2

2015Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good to hear, I haven't been able to find concrete evidence stating that.
    I've just been bothered when I look and different lighting websites and sometimes see an option for canbus for the "c"

13. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    i might be getting the viper for the C too since i already have it on my rav4. so i can use one remote for both cars!

14. 2015Prius2

2015Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, that is one of the reasons for this particular alarm. I have the same alarm in my 2005 GMC Sierra and wanted to use one remote for both it and the "C"

15. 2015Prius2

2015Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't take as many pictures as planned, the security part of the install proved to be more of a hassle then I planned. I actually never got to the remote start side of the install yesterday. Here is a simple rundown of the install:

The area where the connections need to be made (at the under dash fuse panel) was total pain in the rump.

There is virtually no room to work under the dash

image.jpg
    Some of the connectors need to be unplugged to have enough slack to strip the wire, in turn when those connectors are unplugged you will lose your MPG calculations on your trips (the miles on the trips aren't affected though)

image.jpg
    The main wiring boot to the engine bay is pretty packed and was difficult to find an empty spot to push the siren wire and hood pin switch wire through. Also I would highly suggest buying a "wire puller" (usually a 3ft long zip tie) to pull the wires thru the boot to the engine bay, once the wires pop thru it is extremely difficult to see them on the engine side due to the brake fluid reservoir and coolant reservoirs blocking your view of the boot.

image.jpg
    The best spot I could find to mount the siren was on the underside of the wiper cowl on the passenger side, that required the use of a 90 degree drill bit attachment because there is no room to get a drill in there normally.

image.jpg
    The dash will be apart until next Saturday when I can attack the remote start side, the security portion is where the most trouble is due to the lack of room under the dash, all the remote start connections are made on the steering column which is easier to get to.

The only worry I have with the remote start connections is that the alarm side is about a 12ga wire and the toyota wires are near a 24ga wire, it will be fun trying to mate he two.

All in all, the Prius wasn't difficult because of being a hybrid directly, it was a pain because of the lack of room under the dash and in the engine bay. And it doesn't help that I am 6' 5" and 260 pounds and trying to fit under the dash.

Rainking likes this.
  16. 2015Prius2

2015Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Still haven't received the hid kit from xenonsupply.com, they were supposed to ship out Thursday but it looks like they didn't ship till Friday. Should have those in tomorrow night.

17. Rainking

Rainking Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Good job on the viper install. I'm a DIY'er and usually can do just about anything myself but security/remote starters are one thing I don't think I'll ever try.

18. 2015Prius2

2015Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, ya I think I normally wouldn't have tackled it but I have a hook up at Viper and was able to get the pinout with all the color coded connections. It is definitely a two day project for most people, like I said I haven't even touched the remote start side yet.

19. 2015Prius2

2015Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Got the xenonsupply.com 35w 4300k HID kit last night, what a pain finding a place to mount the ballasts. I have seen a few people adhere them to the inside of the fender and have also seen a few say they have popped off. It wasn't the best spot but I ended up mounting them on the plastic filler between the bumper cover and the core support image.jpg image.jpg
    I would have liked to find a better place, but I think this will work.

Here is the finished result, it's an overcast morning so the brightness and color don't show too well, but you get the gist.
    image.jpg

20. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    nice install. thanks for the new mounting meathod.