1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Virginia HOV lane for single occ hybrids is illegal?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by prius04, Jun 9, 2005.

1. prius04

prius04 New Member

This is from a State of VA DOT web site. I always thought that the VA HOV lanes had already gotten Fed approval. Aparently it is pending, just like CA, but it's already been implemented.

....The Federal Highway Administration has advised Virginia that its exemption for hybrid vehicles is in violation of current Federal statute, but Congress is considering legislation that would permit states to allow hybrid vehicles to use HOV lanes....

http://www.virginiadot.org/comtravel/hov-rulesfaq.asp

2. tbstout2

tbstout2 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It would be a shame if the Fed's - and the VA DOT - banned hybrids from the HOV lanes. Let me rephrase that, hybrids that get over 40MPG. I've seen the new SUV hybrids and feel that they defeat the exemption purpose. Also, I notice that the Civic and Prius drivers go at pretty much the posted speeds - optimizing the MPG. However, the SUV hybrids are flying down the roads burning more gas then my 30 MPG Accord!

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It should be pollution level, not MPGs, that gets the Prius in the HOV lanes.

If a few SUVs manage to meet the same level as a Prius, bully for them...

4. Hybrid_Dave

Hybrid_Dave New Member

You can travel in VA's HOV lanes as a single occupant as long as your VA plates are state issued Clean Special Fuels plates. Clean special fuels vehicles in VA are classified as the usual NG and Hydrogen models, but also includes the Insight, Civic, Accord, Prius, Escape, and 400h. You have to fill out a form with DMV headquarters to get the plate from the special license office, show them your car title, they mail you the plate and the invoice for the plates, and you're all set. They are claiming the exemption will expire July 1 2006, but I expect they'll do away with stopping legislation, and just renew it.

Dave.

You can find all the DMV info at www.dmv.state.va.us

5. Blue

Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And the Clean Special Fuel plates only cost an extra $10.

6. prius04

prius04 New Member

Yes, it is legal to drive in the VA HOV lane for the Prius according to VA law. But look at the first post and the link.

According the Federal Law, the permission for this right for VA Prius owners to drive in that lane HAS NOT YET been passed.

And this is the State of VA's own web site.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

8. Hybrid_Dave

Hybrid_Dave New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius04\";p=\"102982)</div>
    It has not yet been passed officially on paper, but you are allowed to drive in the HOV lanes here in VA nonetheless with the CSF plates regardless of occupancy. I understand what you're saying though...

Dave.

9. prius04

prius04 New Member

Actually, if I lived in VA and filled out the paperwork, I'd drive in that lane right now. That's because the federal gov has apparently allowed it up to now, and there is no federal police force (yet).

And the VA police are allowing it.

The CA law, and I suspect the GA law, were written specifically to not become effective until the Federal approval. Thus, in CA and GA it's still against CA and or GA law to drive in those lanes, NOT just federal law.

So I say go for it. But watch out for the black helicopters.

10. tbstout2

tbstout2 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There are the Fed rules and the VA rules - and they both may change. Write your lawmakers to weigh in on the subject!

The VA DOT has completed a report regarding HOV and SOV (Single Occupancy Vehicles). Within the report they list numerous potential changes to the current VA rules regarding the hybrid cars. It's slow reading, but informative.

http://www.virginiadot.org/infoservice/res...rt%201-4-05.pdf