1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Virtual Guages on the MFD?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by naterprius, Oct 21, 2004.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is cool.. anyone have a clue of how hard it would be to actualy change the layout of the MFD

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So, Europe/ Japan, what does that button do on your prius that is where our km/h mph button is? (next to the odo/trip button).

Nate

4. Batavier

Batavier Member

It changes the light intensity of the MFD (from bright to dimmed) and the light intensity of the speedo, odo etc. in four steps (when the headlights are switched on).

I think the UK version can also use that button to change the speedo from mph to km/h, but I'm not totally sure of that.

5. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    That's right - you hold it for 2 seconds or so to switch between mph and km/h.

What I don't understand is why they use a thumb-wheel for instrument brightness in the US; why go to the effort of implementing it differently?

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh that's simple. That's because cell phones and fast food weren't enough to distract American drivers. So now, as I'm driving in the mornings, I have to wedge my cell phone between my shoulder and ear, hold my McBreakfast with my right hand, drive with my knee, and adjust the brightness of the displays with my left hand. Now if I can only figure out what to do with my left leg.

7. Rickster

Rickster Junior Member

Speaking of which, I'm a little surprised it only changes the speedometer on the US version -- I'd figured it'd also change the MPG displays to L/100km.

I wonder if the cars with Nav will automatically change units when you cross the border. That'd be cute. :)