1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Visible wheel balance weights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by richard schumacher, Oct 11, 2006.

1. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A remark by Dan the Man made me go look at my wheels: there are no wheel balance weights visible anywhere on them.

What about this? Are balance weights needed only with replacement tires? If there are factory weights, are they mounted on the inner rim facing the car? (Presumably they are not inside the tire, unless the factory has some very sophisticated balancing technique...)

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Oct 11 2006, 10:35 PM) [snapback]331520[/snapback]</div>
    From the factory, there are weights on the inside of the rim, i.e, not the back rim, but the inside facing the wheel hub attached with some sort of adhesive, on my Prius. You should be able to see them through the spokes of your wheel if you remove the trim ring.

3. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine are on the inside edge of the rim, results in a much cleaner look.

Dan.

4. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When wheels are properly balanced after a tire change, they should be balanced both circumferencely and laterally. This may cause weights to be added to the inside and outside rim right next to the tire.
    The balance weights attached with adhesive sound like wheel balances put on to the metal wheel before the tire is fitted.