1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

visor extension

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Venturer, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Venturer

Venturer New Member

Does anyone make a sun visor extension that will slide out to make it longer when swung to the side window. We are getting ready to sell
    our Town & Country mini van and I am getting reminded at how cheap the Prius interior is. It's a real pain to drive north late in the day with the sun coming in the side window. All of our other vehicles have the extensions built into the visor. Any ideas???

Doug

2. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Finally someone agrees with me about the cheap interior is. I am curious to see if there is a product like that available.

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    remax,

I am not one who is offended by critical remarks made about the Prius. I have expressed my disappointment with what I perceive to be its shortcomings, especially the acres of hard plastic surfaces in its interior. However, it seems to me that there is absolutely nothing that you like about the car. Don't you think you'd be happier if you were to trade it for another automobile?

4. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Overall it's a decent package.. I am highly disappointed with it- but overall I enjoy the $$ I am saving each month. It isn't a horrible car, in fact I do enjoy driving it. I am extremely picky with my cars because I drive in excess for 50,000 miles a year- so I am ALWAYS driving somewhere. Toyota gets such rave reviews and they are priced above many other cars, so I was assuming that it was of a higher calibur- but I have had so many problems that I am just let down. But between issues- I do love the car- I think it is cool and fun. I do wish I had researched it a little more- then I could have gotten the options I wanted, but what can I do? I plan on keeping this car for awhile, and hopefully it will help me save money when I move down to so-cal soon.

I actually am surprised when I pull up somewhere, and EVERYONE literally is asking about the car- it's kind of funny and feels good, even though lately they have been saying "SO DID YOU HEAR YOUR CAR HAS A RECALL, HOW'S THAT FOR A CAR EVERYBODY IS TALKING ABOUT?" so that doesn't make me feel very assured... But I can handle a recall here and there- as long as it stops my car from breaking down again!

I hope to get a few years out of this car- and I just really hope it proves to be better than I am seeing at this point in ownership.

I never meant to offend anyone by my comments, I just seem to get shocked by the cars quality just when I start to love it again- it's a love/hate relationship!

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(remaxmanager\";p=\"99154)</div>
    I took no offense. After all, it is only a car.

It is just that based upon reading your posts, I was under the impression that you'd be happier driving something else.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the expanse of plastics is bad, esp. when our Camry came with nice soft-touch plastic but you know, it's put together nicely. I do wish for more fabric on the door panels though. Problem though, my lower glovebox handle has paint peeling off. I'm guessing it must've been a zip from a school bag that did the initial damage.

7. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(remaxmanager\";p=\"99154)</div>
    What you can do is get rid of the car now. It probably will not cost you anything or at least not much. Then you could get the package you now see you want or need. No need lament.

8. Venturer

Venturer New Member

I hate to get in the middle of a previous discussion, but my question had to do with a visor extension. Has anyone come up with a good one that looks like it should have come from Toyota??

Doug

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry Venturer. The only thing I can think of is remove the sunvisor from the plastic rod. Insert another rod over it and put the visor back on that new rod so the new rod will slide in and out. The question now is how to put a block so you don't slide it all the way out.

10. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There's one
    here that costs about $8 (or $14 for two). I've seen some that clip to the visor and fold down.

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have noticed that no matter what time of day or night and no matter which direction you're driving, the sun will be in the gap between the visor and beam. In fact, I was driving home from the bar one night doing circles around a cul de sac and the sun was shining on the side of my head the entire time.

Ok, I exagerate. But I really do miss the slide-out extender of the Buick Regal I traded it. Another great visor I saw once was two-part with a visor positionable in the front and one for the side for those times when the sun shifts from front to side.

I think someone mentioned before that the Camry visor might fit in the Prius and has an extender. Has anyone confirmed this?

12. Brent

Brent New Member

Be careful with oversized visors or visor extensions if you have the side curtain airbags. When those deploy, the visor / extension might slam into your head. Not a great idea, IMO.

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ah-cha! Good call, Brent.
    With that in mind, could that be the reason for the stubby visors? I know that not all Prii have side airbags, but in the world of streamlining, standardizing one part interdependant upon an option would make sense towards the efficiancy of production.

14. Brent

Brent New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer\";p=\"110468)</div>
    I believe that you are right. One size visor makes economic sense for Toyota.

15. jrobertb

jrobertb New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    VENTURER

I believe I know exactly what you are looking for. I have an 07 Accord Hybrid that does not have any extension on the visor either, so that when the sun is coming from the side I am blinded. I do not know why this is since my 99 Accord had such an extension.

This product will work for you.

try Miles Kimball, or call them at 800-546-2255

Search for "auto sun visor extension." It extends right and left AND up and down.

By the way, my 253 Hp Accord Hybrid will blow your Prius away.:p