1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Visor warning labels

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Doc Willie, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I want to remoive the warning labels that are attached to the sun visors. They are stuck on there really good, and will not peel off. It looks like it will tear the fabric of the visor before it will come off.

I am planning to put this car in a few more shows, and stuff like this really looks tacky in a show car.

I know the warning and have managed to raise two children into their twenties withou killing them in car seats and do not need it. If its there, I ignore it, so it serves no function.

I want them off. I will cover them up if I have too, but then the question will be what kind of adhesive will stick that aggressively to the fabric?

2. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I peeled mine off one little piece at a time. I thought it would tear at any moment. It took me a month of working on it one red light at a time. I'm glad it's gone but there is no way I would do it on the passenger side. I'm 6'4" so it really was in my line of sight more than most people.

Good Luck

3. 4n6

4n6 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Looks like iron on material, if it goes on with heat, it might come off with heat.

I'm just guessing.

4. 4n6

4n6 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I did a search and found that denatured alcahol works well.

5. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think I remember reading on the Yahoo 2G group that Tom Stangl took his warning sticker off and it left an area that clearly showed that the sticker had been there (pulled-looking fabric or something...). It wasn't perfect, but he liked it better than the sticker.

I also think I remember someone posting somewhere that replacement visors do not have the warning sticker. If looks are important, that might be an option instead of having a large rectangle of fabric that isn't like the rest of the visor.

6. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In case the warning labels will react to moisture try getting a sponge larger than the warning label, soak it in water, squeeze out the axcess water leaving the sponge damp. Place the sponge over the warning label and use a couple of large rubber bands to hold it in place. Leave over night and see if it will peel off next morning.
    If it does not work no damage should be done to the visor and you can try something else.
    Each year, I use this method to remove the old registration sticker from my windscreen.

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Wet washcloth covered with a clothes iron will steam them off. go slowly. It leaves a divot. Covering them up with more pleasant pictures seems like a good alternative.

8. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If you do the steam iron routine, you should remove the visor and take it in the house to work on it.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Willie @ Aug 18 2007, 03:49 PM) [snapback]498400[/snapback]</div>
    I can tell you are from NY. ;)

Tom

10. phumpher

phumpher um...oh...uh...wa...er

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Willie @ Aug 18 2007, 12:49 PM) [snapback]498400[/snapback]</div>
    Try This

I found the more I soaked the visor in water the easier they came off.
    With a little patience it's fairly easy.

Good luck,
    Mike

11. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

I would consider a backup plan to the removal, just incase something goes wrong. You don't want a spot on the fabric indicating that there used to be a sticker there, or worse: ripped fabric.

So, maybe you should consider buying an OEM sunvisor if they have them without the sticker? Other than that, perhaps re-upholstering the sunvisor might be the least frustrating?

12. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phumpher @ Aug 20 2007, 08:58 AM) [snapback]499091[/snapback]</div>
    By using a damp sponge over night the warning label can be loosened while minimising any water damage to the visor. If the sponge is cut to just cover the label no water will touch the visor.

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    new visors also have the warning label. DH replaced ours recently because they swung around when we turned the car, if they weren't locked in.

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If damaging the original visors is a possiblity, I think making a visor cover would be pretty easy and aestetically pleasing.

15. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 20 2007, 11:47 PM) [snapback]499552[/snapback]</div>
    Having just destoyed my drivers side visor, I'd agree. Making or buying a cover would be much better.

It seems that the Tundra's visors have a thicker or stronger fabric. After heating the sticker for 30 seconds, I began to peel. Well, sort of. The sticker cools off really fast so you can just 'peel' it. It smudges and gunks up with it self.

Anyway, an hour later, I got a corner peeled up enough to give a good pull. Yup, I got a good pull... Pulled the fabric _right_ off the plastic housing.

I'll post pictures tomorrow.

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, i guess that sticker's really on there!

i forgot to post that the cost of each visor is about $60. :(

17. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 21 2007, 11:19 AM) [snapback]499750[/snapback]</div>
    The interesting part is the construction of the visor. It's a thick, ABS like, plastic. I noticed that when I was steaming mine the plastic warped and re-shaped.

I'd highly suggest just putting a cover over it or make a new sleeve for the visor in lieu of the original fabric.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 21 2007, 11:19 AM) [snapback]499750[/snapback]</div>
    Well, $60 isn't so bad. Not as cheap as it's worth, but not so bad.

18. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(catgic @ Aug 21 2007, 03:04 PM) [snapback]499894[/snapback]</div>
    I think this is the best and most elegant solution for the Zhang Heng. For others, a visor cover might work best. (Or some other appropriate artwork sticker)

20. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 21 2007, 04:07 PM) [snapback]499896[/snapback]</div>
    I was close to something like that. I have a number of large stickers from the Star Trek sticker book that I could put up there, but none are quite the right size or shape.

Also, removing the visor to do the steam iron thing may not be so simple. When one slides the cover to the vanity mirror open, the vanity light above it comes on, suggesting there is a sensor and some wiring inside the visor. Has anyone actually removed a visor from a Prius?