1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Voice Activation gets to know your voice... question mark?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by karmavore, Aug 25, 2004.

1. karmavore

karmavore New Member

Hey all, just picked up my Tideland BC this week, and my dealer, who was in every other way respectable, told me this:

"The voice-activation feature learns the voice of the driver and will improve over time."

Not realizing he was riding with an Artificial Intelligence academic, he was then faced with questions about the learning algoritm used, the actions it would use as feedback for determining success or failure, etc. All of these questions were met with "I don't know"s so my personal BS detector stayed pretty low. If it's incorrect, I suspect he doesn't realize.

Has anyone heard about this? (I couldn't find anything in the manual, but I've spent too much time driving to do an exhaustive search.) While possible, I think it's much more likely he's got it backward... the driver learns the system.

Fill me in!
    Brad

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Brad,
    You're correct, there's no learning mode.

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would have to mainly agree with the point that... The driver learns the system. You learn the exact commend, so the sytem screws up less. Most of the time, i have no problem with my system. It detects everything i say. and if i don't know it.. i'll pull out my stack of papers with command on it.

On the other hand, the system does seem to learn the drivers voice better. The response time between the command and issuing it is getting faster. And, with words it was usualy "iffy" with... it's now working.

But.. every once and a while.. i say 1 out of 20.. if not less.. the car will just go retarded and not recognize the command.

Make sure you take the precautions of not having your vents point on the mics... and try to use the system with your windows up. or.. alone in the car.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    [B.S. Monitor]

BOOP

BOOP

BOOP

BOOP

BOOP BOOP BOOP

BWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

5. singpilot

singpilot Junior Member

He also told you that you'd be getting 60MPG. He also told you that the waiting list would be only 3 to 6 months. He also told you that no one is selling Prius at or anywhere near MSRP.

Lets see. I never believed any of those, so I suspect the learning voice commands is the same spiel.

6. karmavore

karmavore New Member

Wow. That's a lot of anger, which I can understand, given the supply shortfall and the occasional unscrupulous dealer. But they're not all that way. It's a very tough decision: put money in a liar's pocket to get the car sooner, or do a little extra work to find somebody straight-forward and honest, and maybe wait a little longer. Yet another real nice thing about a Prius is that it's much easier to spot the BS'ers than with other cars.

side question:
    I had the nav system route me to work, for which it came up with a pretty horrible route. (In my case, it's better to get on street A, then take street B, and get back on street A to finish it off. The nav system would have me stay on street A the whole way.) I instead just drove as I usually do, going A-B-A, and the next time I asked for it to find a route, it gave me back the "good" route! Is this a quirk, foible, or feature?

Brad

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My route to work is the same way. It gives me three possible routes and even the best one is not the best one. So I take the route I want to take. It tells me to turn left and I go straight. The reroute is exactly what I want. It's only been two days, but so far it continues presenting the same options. Usually when my wife and I have a difference of opinions, we continue going back and forth until one of us gives up. I'll let you know if I give in before the car does.

8. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i still back up with my comments.. on the other hand.. i agree with karmavore... except the waiting list thing.. mine only took about 2 weeks.. hehe