1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Voice activation question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kente777, Dec 23, 2005.

1. kente777

kente777 New Member

Can you have the stereo on to give voice commands? I usually have music going all the time and was wondering if the volume had to be turned down before giving voice commands.

thanks.

Ken

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the system mutes the stereo when you hit the voice button.

3. kente777

kente777 New Member

does the steering wheel have a voice button?

Ken

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you press the voice activiation button with the stereo on, it will reply with:
    "Setting temperature to 102.3."
    or perhaps
    "Now dislaying low low prices at the matress megamart."
    or maybe
    "Setting destination as home of today's best music."

:D

5. JeffHart

JeffHart New Member

Yes, it's on the right hand side of the steering wheel, below the map/info toggle and above the phone call/hang up toggle.

Cheers,
    Jeff

6. tessar

tessar Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On a related note, is there a way to disable the voice prompt, "After the beep, please say a command." I just want the beep because I'm impatient. ;)

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Look at the image HERE and look at the buttons on the right side of the wheel...it's the one just below "INFO" button---face with 'sound' symbols from the mouth.

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    you can just give a command after the beep...unless you have an '06 and something's changed. Or else I've just blanked on the voice. :unsure: Anyway, I'm pretty sure I just hit the button, wait for the beep, give the command and it happens. If you don't say anything she talks depending upon if it heard something or nothing.

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Even with the stereo off it may do that. :p

Saying "P-O-I Off" seems to work best for me. Otherwise I've gotten Ski Lodges, Gas Stations and National Parks when I'm asking for a temperature change. :lol:

10. tessar

tessar Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a 2006. When I hit the voice command button on the steering wheel, the voice prompt, "After the beep, please say a command," is played, then the beep is played. It would be great if the beep occurred immediately after hitting the button (no voice prompt). Can I just give the command immediately after hitting the button (before the voice prompt and beep?

11. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Huh, interesting. My '05 does not have the voice prompt, just the beep. There is about a 1-second delay from the time I press the button on the steering wheel and the the time I hear the beep. Configurable, or just a different version of the software?

*EDIT* Ah, wait. It's all coming back to me now. Evan's right; if you don't say anything after the beep, then there is a voice prompt like you described.

12. tessar

tessar Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Okay, I went out for lunch and experimented. After hitting the voice command button, I immediately gave a voice command. It did not execute. Then the voice prompted played followed by the beep. I gave the voice command again and it executed. This is the behavior on a 2006. This sounds like a change from 2004/2005.

The process takes too long. It's faster to find and hit the buttons on the steering wheel, console, or touch screen. <_<

13. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You may not be waiting for the little microphone to show before talking. You must speak Priusese in order to get the system to respond to you. I am currently learning both Italian and Priusese. I find the Italian coming along a bit better....
    Ciao!

14. tessar

tessar Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In my car, the voice command input is not accepted at anytime before the beep, which plays after the voice prompt. I am using commands documented in the help system.

15. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Tessar,

I think that it must be a change made to the '06 model because mine works exactly the same way. I drove it today for the first time using voice recognition... and it drove me nuts having to wait for the voice promt to finish before giving the beep. I sure hope this voice promt can be turned off.

/Jim

16. mjc243

mjc243 New Member

The '06 definately requires that you listen to the speech before giving a command. I thought I saw a menu setting to turn that off, though... the manual seems to include very little on the topic, but maybe I'll experiment tomorrow.

17. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

Can anyone tell me where to find or just tell me how to increase the volume of the microphone? I found it earlier and attempted to commit the instructions to memory but, ummm, it didn't take. Now I can't find it.

Thanks!