1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Voice clipping: Anyone put Pioneer Android Auto in JBL Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Toyonka, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Toyonka

Toyonka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Do you have a Prius that had the JBL audio but has been replaced with a Pioneer AVIC-5/7/8100NEX, but the JBL amplifier (normally under the passenger seat) remains in the equation? If so, do you have this issue?

I'm having an issue with the start of Android Auto voice commands coming from the speakers being clipped off. It's a particular problem with short SMS messages being read. Crutchfield suspect that the JBL amplifier kicking in and out may be the culprit.

Indeed I have noticed that the Pioneer seems to move the audio position to a different 'mode' for voice commands vs. music. Music sounds like it's all around me, but voice commands sound more centralized. Occasionally the system trips up and music plays at the same time as voice, and the music sounds completely different, like AM vs FM radio quality. That's fine and just a bug, but it tells me something is "switching over" and it's that "switching" that is causing the delay that leads to a loss of audio for a second.

I have factory reset.
    I have updated firmware.
    I have replaced the entire unit.

I have recorded an example of the issue occurring. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3641089/videos/Android%20Auto%20Bug.wav Notice how you hear the following:

"––s the message" instead of "Here's the message"
    "––t my audition is at 11" instead of "But my audition is at 11"
    "––t's probably a good idea" instead of "That's probably a good idea"
    "––?––" instead of "OK"

Many messages are indecipherable due to this.

It's not just Hangouts but that's the main concern. Other system speech can be clipped. E.g. if it is navigating and I ask "Are we there yet" twice, it tries to respond "No" but it sounds like "oh" / "click-o".

Any ideas?

Thanks!