1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Voice Dialing using cell phone to Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Greschler, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Greschler

Greschler New Member

Is it possible to voice dial on your cell phone and have the Bluetooth connect the call when the other side picks up? I have a Verizon LG VX8300 and I can use the one touch speed dial on the handset to connect the call via Bluetooth, but not the voice dial where you can usually hit a button and say "call home" and if it is programmed it will work. In the car while blue tooth connected, it don't work.

Is this a blue tooth compatibility issue (I am still within 15 days and could get a different phone) or another Verizon evil deed against Bluetooth or it just does not work that way?

Thanks

2. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

I can voice dial two ways....I can call by

saying the number....then hitting the "off hook" on steering wheel.

I have also added "voice tags" to 20 of my numbers after I downloaded them from my address book....but car doesn't want to let me do this while I drive, even though it will let me hit speed dial entries.

I have RAZR /Cingular.....

In any case, voice tags are added only after you have the numbers in the car phone book.....you could say anything you want for each entry, but I just said the name to program voice tags.

good luck...
    terri

3. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I hit the talk switch on the steering wheel and say either 'dial by name" if I have the name already programmed in or I say "Dial by number" and say the number. Then in either case, press the off hook switch on the steering wheel and it dials and I am connected

4. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The '05 model was not equipped with voice dial. Using my Motorola RAZR, I've been able to dial from the mobile phone and then talk via the Prius's hands-free system when it's connected over Bluetooth.

5. Greschler

Greschler New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Sep 8 2006, 12:47 PM) [snapback]316413[/snapback]</div>
    OK, but can you voice dial on your Razor then pick it up on the Prius's hands free system over the Bluetooth?

6. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Sep 8 2006, 11:50 AM) [snapback]316373[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, Renocat...I think I should have been saying Dial by Name after hitting the talk switch....it usually comes up...and says "Say the number" but if I intervene and Say "Dial by name" it should work!!

I have been using speed dial so much, I stopped playing with voice dial, even though I have tagged the numbers with voice...

terri

7. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greschler @ Sep 8 2006, 12:14 PM) [snapback]316427[/snapback]</div>
    Because the Bluetooth hands-free system is connected, I think it "mutes" the mic on the phone and I don't believe you can, but I don't know that I've ever tried to find out. Obviously the functionality/behavior of your particular model of phone somehow works into this equation, too.

8. Greschler

Greschler New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Sep 8 2006, 01:49 PM) [snapback]316456[/snapback]</div>
    It makes sense that the mic would be muted. I did not think of that. Thanks.

9. olmanwompa

olmanwompa New Member

i have the same phone, but an '06. i mostly dial on the mfd using speed dial, but have also added voice tags to call hands free. not sure about the '05, but my phone seems to be able to access all of the bt features easily. i had to read the guide to input correctly, program the speed dials, and voice tags, but all work great. good luck

10. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greschler @ Sep 8 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]316501[/snapback]</div>
    I haven't tried voice dial from the phone, but I do know I can dial from the phone while connected to the Prisu bluetooth. For example, if I call my voice mail I have to put in my code. I can't do that from the MFD screen while moving, but I can input my code on my phone's dialpad and I hear the numbers being entered through the car's speaker.

So perhaps the mic is still functional, as is the phone's keypad.

11. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

OK...so I was right the first time...I had tried the voice dialing using the "talk switch" on the steering wheel...I also got into "dial by name" by giving that command....then it says to "say the name" as soon as the phonebook is updated...which means as soon as it is no longer grayed out...which it is while I am driving...it will only accept my voice tags for names if I am at a stop....otherwise it grays it out,

yet...I can dial by number and it will accept my voice inputing the number and go forward...but it is way simpler to just hit a speed dial window...I have all three windows filled and just hit telephone and push on the name in the speed dial location..which is nice and large for me to see.

Also, I have dialed from my RAZR by hitting the talk button on the phone and then dialing from the phone or saying the voice tag into it...then the BT in the car takes over...remember, the BT has you say the name first then hit the off hook button...on the RAZR, you have to hit the talk or off hook or dial first, say the name and then it will dial for you....

I have done this with just a few numbers that I didn't download from the phone. I have 80 numbers in the phone...maybe 60 or so that I downloaded to the car's phone book.

It does say in the manual for each mode of dialing which ones won't be allowed while driving...if I go to phone book while I am driving, it will be completely grayed out, and then become active when I come to a full stop......

Anyhow...I can't use the voice tags I entered into the car, since it won't allow me to to that step...I can say dial by name and it will take me to the next step but not to the actual acceptance of my voice entry while I am dialing...which is very strange, since it would seem to take more
    distracted concentration to give the number in dial by number...which I did before I had my speed dials set up.

Anyhow, I love the BT feature and use it all the time....the pairing is working really well now...I hadn't gotten some of my updates from Cingular and once I did, the whole pairing got better...also, I needed a new SIM card for the phone..

terri

12. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Sep 8 2006, 05:55 PM) [snapback]316628[/snapback]</div>
    Odd...I have an '06 package 7. This is what happens when I want to dial by name...with the radio on
    1. hit the talk swithch, hear a beep,radio cuts out, say dial by name
    2. car says "Dial by name has been choosen. After the display has updated please say the name.
    3. Radio briefly comes back on and then the phone screen comes on the MFD and radio goes off .
    4. I say the name
    5. Car says "williams" chosen. After the display updates please briefly press the talk switch or press the off hook switch to dial.
    6. I hit the off hook switch and dial.

If you wait a second or two after it says after it updates you may be able to say the name. I do all the steps above while driving, nothing is grayed out.

13. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Sep 8 2006, 08:36 PM) [snapback]316695[/snapback]</div>
    I have package #5...no nav system which accepts more voice commands...but

Yes...I hear "Dial by name has been chosen. After the display has updated please say the name."

BUT if I am driving, the whole screen is grayed out...if I come to a stop long enough, the screen with names and numbers will come on (update)....but it definitely will not work while the car is moving...

Dial by number does just fine...and, of course, I can dial from the phone if it's a number that isn't in phonebook....

Do you have the Nav system? If so, maybe that is why??

While driving, I can use dial by number and speed dial (which is actually faster for me than voice dial in a way, because as soon as I hit the telephone icon on the info screen my speed dial screen comes up ...probably because that is last I used).

terri

14. Greschler

Greschler New Member

There seems to be a difference between the 2005 and 2006 Prius's. The LG phone mic turns off so you cannot voice dial through the phone and the 2005 Prius does not have voice dial capability through the Bluetooth. I went back to the Verizon store today and we tried the Razr and a Samsung A930. The Razr didn't work either, but the Samsung will let you voice dial off of the phone and then connect you to the Bluetooth in the Prius.

Thanks everybody for all of your help and advice. B)

Greschler

15. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Sep 9 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]316992[/snapback]</div>
    Mine is greyed out too, I can't push any of the buttons but I just say the name and it dials. Yes I do have the Nav... package #7

16. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Sep 10 2006, 09:43 AM) [snapback]317303[/snapback]</div>
    I think I have said the name when it was greyed out, but with no response...I will try it again today...I would guess with the nav system the voice input has to always be on....with me, it's just the phone, so maybe it disallows dialing by voice while I drive...but then why allow me to input a number by voice....will see when I go out today. Long Island Prius Club meet at Dave and Buster's ...

terri

17. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a handsfree headset, and when I hit the little button on it, it activates the voice recognition in the phone. The 06 Prius (anyway) doesn't seem to have a similar mode, it insists on taking full control of the phone dialing. I really don't want to transfer my numbers to the car and add voice tags, when the phone already has a wicked voice dial which needs no training. Using the phone to dial and then using the Prius bt was mentioned as work around, but that's awkward and requires fishing for the phone and flipping it open, etc. It would be SOOOO much simpler if I could just hit the answer button to open a connection to the phone and take it from there. Does anyone know if this is possible? Kinda sad that a $25 headphone can do it, but a $30,000 car can't. :(

18. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Sep 10 2006, 09:43 AM) [snapback]317303[/snapback]</div>
    AT LAST! Yes...it did work...but with so many more buttons to see......it did dial by voice using the steps you outlined, Renocat...so I know it is working.

I still find Speed Dial, is easier for me...(visually challenged?)...since I don't have to touch the voice button on the sterring wheel...just hit telephone on MFD and Speed Dial window comes up...one push and it puts call through...

At least I know I had it in correctly, just didn't realize that the gray-out could be "ignored." LOL....

terri

19. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Sep 12 2006, 05:20 PM) [snapback]318578[/snapback]</div>
    It worked? while moving?? :)