1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Voice from the past: Dr Evan E. Fusco

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, May 21, 2020.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Today, I watched Autoline After Hours that included Ed Niedermeyer who seemed 'a little off.'

When I Googled Niedermeyer, I came across a review of Ed's book by past moderator, "Dr. Evan E. Fusco." Dr. Fusco nailed it and yes, Niedermeyer is an anti-Tesla nutcase. From the review:

This will be a bit lengthy, but hopefully a fair review of this book.

Let me set it up by stating my background. I am a long time Tesla owner and fan of the vehicle. I first became interested in Tesla around 2006 as I became involved in the world of alternative energy automobiles and as a moderator for a large Prius forum. I ordered my first Tesla in March of 2009 and suffered the nearly 4 year wait to take delivery. Subsequently we purchased a Model X for my wife and at 100k miles I replaced the original S with a Model 3. I moderate a Facebook Tesla forum as well as Tesla Motors Club (mentioned multiple times in the book). I also participate in a couple of podcasts as a panelist and have been on the panel with Mr. Niedermeyer a couple of times, at least once things became heated. I also previously owned a few shares of Tesla stock which I sold for a small profit (<$1000). I can fairly be labeled a “fan boy”. That said, I like to think I’m pretty objective and I don’t deny the many problems with Tesla the company and, to some degree, with the Tesla cars themselves.

Onto the book.
    First of all, I feel that the “facts” provided describing many of the issues that have plagued Tesla and Elon Mus, their growth, their finances and their manufacturing process are accurate. As such this book is an important read as there are few contrarian perspectives out there about Tesla that shines a light on some of the deep flaws with the company and their processes. That is not where I have issues with the book. The problems arise when Mr. Niedermeyer begins to editorialize and make assumptions about the motivations of Tesla owners and Elon Musk himself. He constructs a stereotype of the average Tesla fan early on in the book that he then uses to rationalize many of the reasons that Tesla has been successful and that its flaws have been overlooked by so many. That is not to deny that there are elements of truth about some owners, but he has created a ridiculous image of sycophantic followers who praise Elon’s every move in a mindless fashion. My experience couldn’t be further from the truth. While there are those ‘fanbois’ who are as described, most of us are intelligent adults whom have desired to support a vision for a future and are willing to ride out the storm, if you will. But not without an expectation of reciprocation from Tesla…something I, at least, and most other early adopters have gotten without question. We’re fully aware of the flaws and accept that there is some element of risk. Elon’s “antics” are not an illusionist fooling us, they’re the sort of out of the box concepts that let us feel that we can finally escape the staid mentality of the conventional automobile industry.
    . . .

I didn't know Niedermeyer but it was curious how hard he worked at not saying Tesla or anything good about Autopilot and Full Self Driving. The silence was suspicious. But Dr. Fusco correctly nailed him.

Bob Wilson

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Doesn't Evan still do those audio bits with Danny & Friends? Or maybe I just haven't been keeping up.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I don't know for the same reason. For want of a better term, 'low information density'. Even now, I use YouTube and play them back at higher speeds, 1.25 to 2.0. Even then, I'm often moving the progress bug forward to trim out 'verbal noise.'

Bob Wilson