1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Voice recognition 06 "AM" does not work!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kinged, Jan 8, 2006.

1. kinged

kinged New Member

I have been using voice recognition on the 2006 navigation system. Commands such as FM1, FM2, CD all work. However, when I say "AM", the sytem responds with "AM radio", but it does not switch over to AM radio, it did nothing. Anyone having the same problem? Can someone with 06 check this for me?

2. ThunderJon

ThunderJon New Member

Same problem here. I stumbleed on this independently. Kinda a PITA when I wanna flip to am to check traffic.

FIX IT TOYOTA!!!

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Works for me on my 06. I tried it w/the audio system off and on while in FM and CD player mode.

4. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I never tried AM radio before yesterday... but I did a test after your post. I could not get it to recognize "AM" at all. It wanted to show me ATM icons on the screen. However... the command "AM Radio" worked perfectly... and played my AM radio OK.

Do you have AM stations programmed into your favorites? I am not sure that would make a difference... but its an idea to check.

Mine is an '06 pkg#8

/Jim

5. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

Bob-W8RH likes this.
  6. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Bob,

In this case... according to the OP, the voice recognition itself seems to be working because the MFD displays "AM Radio". However, it seems that the programming does not change to AM.

/Jim

7. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Maybe your not saying please... or using a sexy enough voice.. :wub:

Sorry.... that may not help much.... maybe your prius doesn't like AM?......
    If the luv-bug "herbie" has personality.. the prius must be much much more?

You better say your sorry... I bet you made your prius mad and hurt its feelings?....

Go say your sorry and I bet it will work.......

8. mmfjj

mmfjj Junior Member

Same here. 06 Pkg 7. I get both voice and visual confirmation of the given voice command (either "AM" or "AM radio"), but the system does not actually switch to AM, nor does it turn on AM if the audio is off.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmm. interesting to know. wonder what i can get out of DH about this... the shop has only seen one 06 so far.

10. Tripod137

Tripod137 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had something like that happen today w/ me '06. I set a nav destination, then told it to Suspend Navigation. It said it back to me, displayed the text on the screen..then proceeded to continue to give me driving directions. I tried the Suspend again and it worked the second time.

11. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

YOur problem may be that you just need to turn up the mic sensitivity....

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    they can't do anything about it if they don't know... bring it in to your dealer so they can check it out and either fix it at the shop or come up with a fix.

13. frankie_delaware

frankie_delaware Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same problem, MFD displays the "AM Radio" title at the top of the screen and says "AM Radio" but doesn't switch to the AM radio screen. (So, it's not a voice recognition problem, microphone problem, etc.)

My car was built 12/05 (shown on the driver's door jam), bought 1/2/06. I wonder if cars that work OK are later in the production run. Toyota has probably caught the problem and made an production bug fix, but I doubt it's something they'd routinely fix on earlier cars unless there are a lot of complaints. :(

fd

14. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

I did the test on our '06 (picked up on 2006-01-02).

I can confirm that when saying "AM Radio" the MFD dutifully displays the temporary message "AM Radio" but then the actual status of the radio does not change.

I did the test with the radio off, and it did not come on. I did the test again with the radio on but on an FM station, and it did not switch to AM.

I will check our build date later... if anyone else knows their build date, please post it here and a note as to whether or not you are experiencing the problem.

- Bob R.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just tried it again on my 06 Prius. Saying "AM radio" works fine. It recognizes it and switches properly to AM radio [tried it from FM radio and audio off]. My build date is also 12/05. I picked up the car on 1/14/06.

16. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Build date 11/05. Does not work (recognizes, does not switch to AM)

- Tom

17. mouztrpd

mouztrpd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Works perfectly on my 05 #9, build date 6/05......not that anyone asked us people with "old" cars. :)

18. agile pagile

agile pagile New Member

What kind of features does your 2005 #9 have. We have never heard of that package in the SF Bay area. Wait a minute, are you sure you have a 05 #9 or are you really clueless?

19. mchinta

mchinta New Member

I have package 8 2006 Prius and I have the same problem. It doesn't seem to have any link with sensitivity because when you say CD, FM it automatically switches to CD & FM respectively. But when I say AM it repeats as if it understands AM radio but doesn't do the switch to it. But one day after saying AM radio and I forgot that I even said it I had to press brakes hardly it started playing AM radio. This is definitely a bug. I didn't program my 2006 AM stations and I am not sure if that problem gets resolved if you program your stations.

20. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

I checked and my build date is 11/2005, "AM Radio" command "recognized" but does not work.

I will be seeing my dealer service center on Thursday and will see if there is a TSB or other answer about this and my other voice recognition problems.

- Bob R.