1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Voice Setup Questions, 2006 w Nav System

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dstrevel, Mar 15, 2006.

1. dstrevel

dstrevel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    On setup screen 2 of 3 in my 2006 with Navigation, there are three items that you answer "on" or "off". The items are "Voice Recognition Guidance", "Voice Guidance in All Modes", and "Auto Voice Guidance".
    I have learned that setting the first item to "off" turns off the annoying long voice prompt every time you push the voice response button on the steering wheel, and replaces it with a "beep". This is how you would want to run the system after you have heard the long prompt about twice.
    I have adjusted the second and third items from "on" to "off" but can't recognize that this has changed anything. I haven't been able to find any explanation in the user's manuals. Does anyone know what the second and third items actually adjust in the voice response system?
    Many thanks.
    David Strevel, Raleigh NC.

2. SparkyJ

SparkyJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'd love to know the answer too. Anyone figured it out?

3. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is there no comprehensive on-line tutorial? Sheesh, we're all figuring these things out one at a time. I find it hard to believe nobody has consolidated this stuff. Should I? The 2006 nav manual doesn't even have an index!

Paraphrased from page 87:

When voice guidance in all modes is off, you won't hear the nav voice if you have the audio system running. She won't interrupt the music.

When auto voice guidance is off, the nav won't just speak directions on its own. You must press the map/voice button to hear the most recent instruction.

Seriously, I'm thinking I should write a decent online manual. For example, the nav manual tells us how to change a setting, but they really don't tell us what that setting means, or why we should care.