1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Voice traffic alerts

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by creativeguy, Nov 2, 2009.

1. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When I rented a 2010 Prius a few months ago, it would make audible traffic announcements every once in a while like "heavy traffic ahead". Now that I have my own, I haven't heard anything like this (though I haven't driven in heavy traffic much yet). Besides turning on all the features in the Nav settings, do I have to do anything else to hear these?

Does anyone know what the conditions need to be to get the alerts? The manual doesn't go into much detail regarding all the nav features. It just basically says "to turn feature x on, push this", without telling you what feature x even does.

2. NovaStu

NovaStu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You need to be subscribing to the traffic alerts from XM. In addition to the audible warnings, you'll see red, yellow, or green lines alongside the major highways to depict graphically how well (or slowly) traffic is flowing.

Stu

3. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    > You need to be subscribing to the traffic alerts from XM.

Yes, and there is a badge that says "Prius" on the back of the car. Got it!

Anyone know what the conditions need to be to trigger the audible alerts?

4. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How long have you had your car? If your FREE trial period is over and you've renewed your XM subscription you'll also have to subscribe to the Traffic Service.

To the best of my knowledge, this Trafic Service is ALSO subscription based, and is in addition to the normal XM fee.

David (aka Blind Guy)

5. IraS

IraS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The navigation alerts depend on where you are. If you rented the Prius in the area where you live, you should get the same information. If you rented the Prius in a different metropolitan area, the level of traffic information may be different.

For example, here in Austin, TX there is very little traffic information available through the navigation system. I believe the only alerts which are available are about traffic incidents (i.e. accidents). There is no information about traffic conditions (like slowdowns).

6. dc202

dc202 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I found the XM traffic info to be next to useless in terms of accuracy.

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll also need to enable traffic voice alerts - dig through your NAV settings under Voice. They also only work if a route is pre-programmed. W/o the route, no voice guidance as it doesn't know which way you're going (that construction 10 miles down the road may not be on the way).

That being said, XM traffic is a tad laggy, and when the slow spots change shape, they're constantly re-announced. Annoying indeed.

8. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Finally, some useful info. Thanks!

9. bob brown

bob brown Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How does the subscription traffic alerts from XM compare to the free alerts on certain after-market units (like Garmin)? Anyone had both to compare?

10. lisaalehman

lisaalehman New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My question is: If I let my XM Nav Traffic free trial expire will I still get those helpful "traffic ahead" alerts when I program in a destination? In other words, is the traffic alert coming from the car's built-in Navigation system or from XM-Sirius?

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You need the XM subscription for traffic alerts.

Tom