1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Volkswagen: Low on ego, high on emission?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by usbseawolf2000, Jun 23, 2006.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Today, I heard an Ad from VW on the radio. This is not one of those interview with their clown engineer at their competitor's dealship.

This one is special... I think it is their new slogan or something.. It goes, "Volkswagen, lowest ego emission". They even mentioned that celebrities should drive their car also. Now, is it me or what? Are they trying to mock Prius success?

What does low ego emission actually mean? Their diesels are pretty high with air borne harmful emission. What market are they trying to reach? What are your thoughts when you heard that Ad?

Dennis

2. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Jun 23 2006, 10:03 PM) [snapback]276146[/snapback]</div>
    The TDI actually produces far less CO2 than most gasoline engines, and thats the stuff that is causing Global Warming.........If everyone that could would buy a TDI or a Prius we could end our dependance on middle east oil, which would pull out of Iraq faster than a speeding bullet.................

3. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

Volkswagen, as a Brand, is sinking all over the world, except for a few countries in Europe. Volkswagens just arent that cool anymore.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    From what I know (not much I admit) the TDI is a pretty good machine. Other than VWs quality control problems that is. I think exhaust emissions are not so bad for diesel cars in general and will improve. I understand Honda is working on one that will (may) be cleaner than anything out there and will get better mileage than our Prii.

I have thought for some time that a diesel hybrid would be a good combination?

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    that commercial makes me roll my eyes. the one on tv is so much worse.

if they're saying celebrities should drive their cars, doesn't that sound, well, kind of egotistical?

6. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sounds like VW may have some level of SMUG going on.

7. ml194152

ml194152 Member

To me, I took it as saying their cars are not screaming anything at other people on the road ( the ad has people with bullhorns saying things like "I make more money than you do"). As if VW cars have no message to impart to others. But to me that means VW wants their cars to be invisible (and therefor plain and boring), melding away into the crowd.

I don't want a car thats just like most other cars in the world.

Maybe VW is implying that the Prius is an egotistical car, but I for one am very proud that my Prius shouts "I care about the environment". Its a message that a lot more Americans need to hear. Loudly and frequently.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe they're sad Subaru picked on their ad so they find someone else to pick on.

(If you haven't seen the ad, it says "When you go from 0-60 in 4.3 seconds, you don't need a made up character called Fast. It's what makes Subaru, a Subaru")

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Jun 24 2006, 08:09 AM) [snapback]276302[/snapback]</div>
    Look it up at http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm, you'll see that an 06 diesel Jetta emits 5.6 tons of greenhouse gases/year and gets an EPA air pollution score of 1/10. In comparison, the Prius emits 3.4 tons and gets an 8/10 or 9.5/10 depending on the region.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B Rad @ Jun 24 2006, 07:55 AM) [snapback]276297[/snapback]</div>
    Why do you say that? Using fewer gallons of refined fuel (diesel and gas in this case) does not automatically == less use of oil.

I'm not a petroleum engineer but from sources like http://api-ec.api.org/filelibrary/oilfacts_rgb.pdf, 1 barrel of crude produces many products but it ends up producing 2x the gasoline as it does diesel. So even, if your diesel car gets 2x the mileage per gallon of diesel as opposed to a comparable car running on gasoline, you haven't used less oil.

BTW, don't answer biodiesel if you care about the car's engine, fuel system and emissions warranty. VW recommends no more than B5 (5% biodiesel). See http://www.vw.com/contactus/faqs.html#5.1.

10. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Jun 24 2006, 08:44 AM) [snapback]276321[/snapback]</div>
    Ummm....I think their ad agency might be a TAD upset by some of the, ummmm, misunderstanding that seem to be going on here amongst us smug Prions... There is pretty much no doubt that ALL the ads mean is "They are not the "Pious," (which was the name for guess what car in that infamous South Park episode). Have a google and you'll come up with THIS and THIS and...oh hell, y'all get the idea. IT'S A JOKE, SON!

<div align="center">[​IMG]</div>

11. andreaswin

andreaswin New Member

im not a VW lover myself ,, but in europe their not that bad ,,lol...

VW is comming with a series named BlueMotion. it will consists of cars thats low on emmisions and fuel consumption.. its passat Motion , Golf Motion and Polomotion.
    first one will be the polo

the spec for the poloMotion is: 1,4L TDI , 80hp, 195nm/2200rpm , 0-100km/h in 12,8 sec.

CO2 103gram pr100km , uses 0,39L pr 100km wit mixed driving..

sporty setup on the car, alloy weels ,heat reflecting windows, abs, airbags...bla bla

not too bad is it ???? yes small car..... but stilll,,,,, and i do not know if they even sell this on in the US....

the newer models from VW in Europe/norway do have a good quality ,,, the earlier models had some problems...

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsI...how/1060221.001

cheers
    Andreas

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Jun 25 2006, 02:58 AM) [snapback]276398[/snapback]</div>
    Crude oil produces more gasoline than diesel because the market demands more gasoline. Refineries go through an expensive energy consuming process to crack petroleum and recombine it as gasoline, otherwise the fraction of gasoline produced would be quite small.

Diesel engines can burn a wide variety of fuels; they are not anywhere near as picky as gasoline engines. Fuel oil for home heating is almost exactly the same as diesel fuel. If it burns and can be pumped, you can probably use it in a diesel engine.

Diesel engines inherently do better with some emissions, such as CO2. They are bad with particulates, which is that black soot you see coming from busses and trucks. For a long time there was no evidence that soot had negative health effects, but more recent studies have shown risks. Soot creates obvious problems with cleaning.

Tom

13. andreaswin

andreaswin New Member

have to correct my elf 3,9L pr 100km,, sounds better lol ,,

Andreas :blink:

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    not bad for a 1.4 litre car!

It's twice as fast, twice as powerful and probably heavier than the smart, yet gets similar mileage.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jun 25 2006, 05:52 AM) [snapback]276427[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting... can you cite some reputable sources which state this? What are the % yields of gasoline and diesel produced by fractional distillation alone?

http://science.howstuffworks.com/oil-refining4.htm mentions "Very few of the components come out of the fractional distillation column ready for market. Many of them must be chemically processed to make other fractions. For example, only 40% of distilled crude oil is gasoline; however, gasoline is one of the major products made by oil companies. Rather than continually distilling large quantities of crude oil, oil companies chemically process some other fractions from the distillation column to make gasoline; this processing increases the yield of gasoline from each barrel of crude oil."

The 19.4 gallons of gasoline from the 44.6 gallons of product mentioned at http://api-ec.api.org/filelibrary/oilfacts_rgb.pdf is 43.4%.

16. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Jun 23 2006, 11:03 PM) [snapback]276146[/snapback]</div>
    I think that this VW advertising campaign is extremely poorly conceived...

The commercial on TV has a VW Jetta driving through a city street with drivers in different stereotypical egotistical cars like sports cars, BMWs, etc etc. using megaphones to broadcast to the world that they drive a hot car for stupid reasons... and then the humble VW driver throws their megaphone out of the window..."Lowest Ego Emissions."

... but doesn't advertising the fact that your brand has the least ego inherently egotistical?

It's like taking pride in the fact that you are more humble than other people... and advertising it. VERY dangerous territory.

Poorly conceived. I was not impressed. It just makes VW look like hypocrites. If one was truly ego free, they wouldn't have to advertise it on TV, radio, or print.

17. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LaughingMan @ Jun 25 2006, 12:34 PM) [snapback]276576[/snapback]</div>

Yeah, like Toyota that never advertizes..

18. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 25 2006, 06:13 AM) [snapback]276411[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I know that the VW ad is a joke.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LaughingMan @ Jun 25 2006, 03:34 PM) [snapback]276576[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed.