1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Volkswagen One-Liter per 100KM Car

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by GeeWiz, Apr 7, 2005.

1. GeeWiz

GeeWiz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. Greyskye

Greyskye New Member

Can you try that url again? That link creates a new post. :)

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Three years old, a time when VW wouldn't dream of a hybrid. They could do better now.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher\";p=\"79506)</div>
    Don't discount the Germans so quickly! :wink:

Remember VW marketed the world's first plug-in hybrid - the Audi Duo. They got their fingers badly burned on that one, as it was too heavy (it was only 1989(!), so they had to use lead acid!) and hardly anyone wanted to pay the extra to have one. Hence their apparent recent disinterest in hybrids.

But don't be fooled, because there must still be some bright engineers at VW who realise that plug-in hybrids are way ahead of fuel cell cars. How can I be so sure? Because one of AC-propulsion's partners in the development of Lithium-ion plug-in hybrids is.... VW. So VW may be quietly making a lot of progress in this area.... :wink:

5. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The key to the consumption of 1L/100KM is a combination of extreme weight savings and a really small displacement engine. It looks like it seats 2 people in tandem (passenger behind driver)

It's a 299cc diesel that weighs in at just 38Kg for the engine with alternator and starter. It's light so it doesn't need much power to go. The engine generates 13.5 lb/ft of torque and a max 8.5bhp with a max speed of 120km/h

It's a neat concept. If it makes it into production I can see it making strong competition for the North American Smart Car since it has about the same capacity. I'll stick with the Prius since I like the capacity and creature comforts :)

6. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    clett, thanks. I did not know either of the Audi Duo (which today looks like a college engineering class demonstration project rather than a serious development effort) or of the AC-P collaboration with VW (which is very encouraging; I see they modified a Golf back in 1998 using lead-acid batteries: http://www.acpropulsion.com/Press%20releas...es/VW_EVS15.htm ).

7. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    dont use parentheses or anything after the ending of your link. it gets included when you click on it and it wont work.

8. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    D'ohh!! Thanks, all better now.

9. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  10. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is too bad. I would have considered to be a commute car for 264 MPG even at a price tag of $25k (if I did not already have 2 Prius).