1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Volkswagen's American Chief says Volkswagen hybrid midsize sedan coming in 2011

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    "Volkswagen has an ambitious plan centered on a $4 billion investment to build an assembly plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The new plant will be used to manufacture at least two new models but according to the automaker's U.S. chief, Stefan Jacoby, this is only the start of a full on North American market onslaught.

"Above the midsize new sedan, which is being designed to compete against the likes of the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord and will be available with both diesel and hybrid variants, Jacoby said Volkswagen has another product that could compete with the Toyota Avalon.

Volkswagen Chief Lays Out New American Strategy -- Seeking Alpha

Note: this is separate from rumors of a hybrid-diesel Golf, mentioned in another thread, http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-h...oduce-70-mpg-diesel-electric-hybrid-golf.html

2. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    ROTFLMAO!

Bob Wilson

4. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, by the date of your link for the thread "hybrid-diesel Golf", we can be sure that rumours are just that, rumours. Two years gone and counting, the only VW hybrid is "about" to be sold, the VW Touareg. And it is a gasoline-hybrid. :p
    Both Toyota and Honda started with real economy principles more than a decade ago, while VW and BMW are now manufacturing their first hybrid solutions in SUV and luxury sedan formats. I wonder there are many tricky parts of designing an hybrid, and is lot easier to many a small quantity and get paid sooner. This is not surprising and most of all, environmently deceiveing. Why bother to save 20-50g CO2/km in a SUV that still is a two ton+ gas-guzzler anyway?

5. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But... But... I thought the TDI was superior to hybrids! At least that's what they keep telling us here!

6. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Did you guys see post #2 on this thread?

Comments?

7. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I did. But the news link does not describe the layout of the future VW Golf/Jetta hybrids...
    My comment: by the time VW is ready to launch a hybrid compact, Toyota is selling PHV Priuses, which shall be unbeatable in short commutes. Too late, rest of the world team.

8. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

I test drove a 2010 TDI Jetta. Noisy and slow. Would never buy one.

I do not understand what the fuss is.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    has anyone except toyota made a full hybrid? what makes you think it can be done?:confused: