1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Volt Batteries Ready In 2008

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Volty, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Volty

Volty New Member

Looks like GM is getting serious with the Volt. This is great news for those of us that want to see the alternative fuel movement take a step forward.

http://www.technologyreview.com/Energy/18833/

2. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Hmm...guess they really are beginning to focus in on the development of the car. Let's see if they actually get this concept off of the ground.

Also, I think it would be wise for the engineers to revise the body lines of the car to make it a little more aerodynamic.

Speaking of which, where'd the designers that came up with great-looking concepts like the Banshee concept of the late '80s, the Corvette Stingray III, and other similar cars go?

When did aero designs suddenly disappear to?

More to the point, it is great news to see the corporation actually trying to go someplace with the design.

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And I'm optimistic that I'll run off with Salma Hayak right after I win the lottery.

Hoping something will happen isn't the same as something that already happened.

OK, so admittedly they're heading in the right direction, but they have miles to go.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Meanwhile, as GM spouts more and more about their non existent volt ... they just recently released their latest and greatest "new-green" vehicle . . . another high priced, super duper powerful gas guzzlin' V8 SUV with an extrordinary humongous price tag.

gotta love it.

5. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Volt could never be sold by GM before 2009 due to how slow the company is, and 2011 is more likley a target date.....

But if they made one in 2008-2009 and it was less then $30,000 I would buy one as soon as I could. The volt is easy enough for GM to build, in its own way its less complex then the Prius and it fits my needs almost perfectly. I have a 30 mile commute and can plug in at BOTH SIDES. '

Again wishfull thinking but it would be my first new purchase of any GM product.

6. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Jun 9 2007, 08:25 PM) [snapback]458952[/snapback]</div>
    See here:

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID.../706060341/1014

I'm still trying to figure out if the Volt represents a new direction for GM, or is just a propaganda project to improve their image and sell more trucks and SUVs. It certainly doesn't sit well with me that GM is using the Volt as an argument that congress shouldn't impose stricter fuel economy standards.

That said, if GM develops the the Volt, I really do hope it's a roaring success so GM will be motivated to change their focus.

7. Topgas

Topgas New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ Jun 9 2007, 11:43 PM) [snapback]458996[/snapback]</div>
    It gets down to money, and the big three can't make any loot from these type of vehicles because of their built in overhead they can't get rid of. They're trying to buy time like they always do, nobody at the big three wants to deal with the real solutions that won't be pretty. Even if it's PR, it'd nice to see the Volt come to life soon. If history is any indicator, I'd bet it will be a day late and dollar short.

8. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ Jun 9 2007, 10:43 PM) [snapback]458996[/snapback]</div>
    I find GM's whole argument to be humorous at best. They say they will have the Volt ready by 2010 to 2012 and claim no gas used for 40 miles, 120 mpg for 60 miles, and 50 mpg for an infinite range. Yet they claim that is is impossible to raise their fleet average from 25 mpg to 35 mpg by 2020, 8 years after this technological wonder will be available. So if they build the Volt they prove themselves wrong when they claim they can't improve their fuel economy.

9. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Jun 10 2007, 08:51 AM) [snapback]459122[/snapback]</div>
    You'll just see more of their world-class backpeddling, like how they now conveniently forget they used to constantly whine that people would never put up with having to spend money on air bags.

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In my opinion, from what I've read (SAE-AEI) about Denise Gray, she doesn't seem to have the knowledge and experience to handle Volt battery pack. She is also in charge of all the battery packs including the 2-mode pack with Cobasys/A123.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    GM (via Lutz) still lies about the EV1 to this day, stating just last week that GM had to Lease EV1's because no one wanted to buy them. Folks ought to wait until they quit telling lies, before you give them an ounce of 2nd chance.

Meanwhile GM lies about their "GREEN" flex fuels ... and how their GAS GUZZLIN fleet vehicles get great mileage on grain fuel ... when in fact that's only because they only have to count the gas portion of each gallon towards CARB standards (thus, for example, if the mixture of fuel was 50/50 grain - gasoline, the 14mpg SUV is considered to go 28mpg ... because only half of the gallon was gasoline :lol: )

Yet Grain fuel is even more toxic and ozone damaging than originally realized ! !

http://starbulletin.com/2007/06/10/editori...ommentary2.html

Gee, thanks GM. Truths, on top of truths.

12. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Jun 10 2007, 06:51 AM) [snapback]459122[/snapback]</div>
    Remember also that GM will have 1,000,000 Fuel Cell cars sold by 2010 as well. Remember that statement just a few short years ago? Man, do they have some work to do!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Jun 10 2007, 08:28 PM) [snapback]459452[/snapback]</div>
    We're in agreement here. It would appear that GM will never come clean about the EV1. I also heard Lutz in his latest interview say that they tried like hell to sell the EV1, but couldn't. So they "put it out to lease." He goes on to say that they had to keep lowering the lease amount to keep them moving. Good lord. Trying to find a shread of truth in there is a frustrating task! The guy lives in a different reality than mine.

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hampdenwireless @ Jun 9 2007, 09:55 PM) [snapback]458968[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps if you post an inquiry on http://eevc.info/ you can find a High School club that will sell their electric car or pickup truck to you. If high schoolers can build electric cars that are street legal now how pathetic are GM's engineers?

14. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jun 11 2007, 10:03 PM) [snapback]459893[/snapback]</div>
    Engineers do what they're told, or they're fired. There's no great love between me and GM, but blame the overpaid management, not the engineers.

Harry

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Earthling @ Jun 12 2007, 12:17 PM) [snapback]460237[/snapback]</div>
    I believe there is enough blame to spread around for everyone to have a share. These are probably the same people that can't design an engine that doesn't burn oil.

16. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My sense is that as soon as GM and Ford have viable green machines capable of competing head to head with Toyota and the Prius, they will suddenly begin claiming that they were ALWAYS supportive of green technology.
    Right now, much of their attitude is sour grapes because they were caught with their automotive pants down.

When you can't compete with the other kids, the easiest way out is to criticize the game.