1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Volt: GM's life ring ... and the two-modes?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, May 20, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Two quick articles, basic press gets to drive the Volt mules:

2011 Chevrolet Volt Prototype - First Drive Review - Automobile Magazine

Test Drive: Chevy Volt test mule

I understand the Volt is planned to have some sort of noise generator. The question is will GM put them on all of their two-mode hybrids? How about their 'auto-stop' hybrids?

For GM, the Volt is their 'save the company, Hail Mary' vehicle. Their two-modes are with the exception of the Saturn two-mode (ever hear much about it???), what some think justifies their continued existence. I'm open minded but I'm buying a 2010 Prius this year.

Bob Wilson

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    An interesting note about the Volt test-drives is no one has ever been allowed to witness the very feature in operation which makes it unique: the generator.

All reports are only of drives using the battery-pack exclusively... never after it has been depleted.

1 person likes this.
  3. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Notice how the Volt is presented quite differently than fuel cell vehicles and other exotic government funded technology (e.g. Supercar). It's an encouraging sign when the developmental cars are ugly and have lots of minor details to address. That's a sure sign that the developmental car is actually being used for development.

4. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Geese don't move for standard passenger car engine noise anyway. Honking doesn't work either. Now if you have a vehicle with a bit of intake and exhaust power tuning that will put out a nice roar/rumble they will move--that much I tested many times...depress the clutch, tap the go pedal for a nice throaty roar and suddenly the obstinate geese were on their way.

5. Prianista

Prianista Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've said it on this forum before and I'm pleased to say it again:

If the Volt is going to be such a great car, how come the new Star Trek movie features a Corvette?

6. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Bob Lutz and the Chevy Volt were on David Letterman's show yesterday (May 20).
    It actually looked really cool. Too bad Bob seemed very reluctant every time David said "I want one. Put me on the list. How soon can I get one?"
    Bob's reaction seemed to support those that allege the Volt will never happen. Bob kept saying "in a year or two."
    It was great advertising/publicity for the Volt and David seemed excited about it ... too bad consumers may never see it.

7. rfruth

rfruth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    "Jam yesterday, and jam tomorrow. Never jam today." The Volt will always be two years away.

9. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    My thought about the geese:

If I'm coming at them and they don't move... and I clobber them and they die... it's just natural selection.

1 person likes this.
  10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I'll bet it's less toxic to eat a goose that was hit by my Prius, than by 20 lead pellets from a 12 gauge shot gun shell.

11. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It is illegal to use lead shot to hunt waterfowl in the US. Lead shot was phased out and replaced by steel shot in the 1980's. Lead shot was completely banned by federal law starting with the 1991-1992 hunting season.

Canada banned lead shot Sept 1, 1999.