1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Volt Pictures

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by jonathanrohr, Apr 20, 2007.

1. jonathanrohr

jonathanrohr New Member

Alright, am I over-using that joke? Did anyone catch the meta-free-phor-all last night between Colbert and Penn? Funny stuff.

On another note: we have been having a big 'green' week deal here at UCF (University Of Central Florida, GO KNIGHTS!). The director of 'Who Killed The Electric Car' and the president of Plug-In america were both on campus to speak! You can read about it here.

But back to the point.. here are some pics of the 'newer' iteration of the Volt. Not sure how different they are from the old one though..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one replaces the gas engine with a hydrogen fuel cell and uses a battery pack half the size of the original. The whole idea here was to show off GM's 'E-Flex' system. - "The whole point about E-flex is flexibility. You can use a gas engine, diesel engine, hydrogen fuel cell in the same model. You don't have to make 3 different types of car. Modify systems according to which country or region it is sold in."

I'm not sure how I feel about it though, I think it was a step in the wrong direction. Kinda like if NASA started working on a mission to Mars before we even got the Moon. Step 1, then 2, THEN 3. I would've much preferred to see a more realistic looking Volt using components that exsist (or will exsist soon) in real life.

How much more effective would the presentation had been if they could've said "and this battery pack could be manufactured by ___ for ___. It can be recharged by this ICE we will probably manufacture at _____ assembly plant. " Furthermore, I think throwing together an efficent 'parts-bin' body and interior wouldve been good here, helping to get rid of the 'one-off concept' stigma, and move more towards 'prototype'.

I wanted GM to show me reality, instead, I got sci-fi. =(

I am REALLY REALLY REALLY hoping that one of these days I can pull an 'I told you so!!!'. Fingers crossed.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    That's just the promo / paper machet cut out HERE is the REAL photo of the VOLT as it currently exists:

Beautiful ! ! ! Isn't it?

:p

3. jonathanrohr

jonathanrohr New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Apr 20 2007, 10:23 AM) [snapback]426684[/snapback]</div>

Wow! Your hilarious man! Who taught you to be so clever!?!?? Look what I found:

Its a picture toyotas plug-in concept:

aint it a beaut?!?!?

And heres honda's:

SUUUUWEEET! cant wait to buy me that slick puppy! But wait till you see nissan's!

Even better!!!

GM should just stop trying, i mean seriously, why build a concept before going into production right? Just go straight to production or dont go at all!! I think we shouldve skipped Mercury and Gemini and just gone straight to the moon! Those two phases were just jibber-jabber!

/end sarcasm

Edit: I realize that there are Plug-in modded Prii out there, as well as a few modified Insights. But to my knowledge, no official attempts by the companies to make an OEM plug in. And until darrell tells me otherwise, thats what im sticking to.. lol.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonathan Rohr @ Apr 20 2007, 07:07 AM) [snapback]426664[/snapback]</div>
    I hope so, too. I'd really like it if they proved me wrong by building an EV or a sustainable-energy car. Their record of underhanded dealings leaves me doubtful. But I'd rather be proved wrong than right on this one.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonathan Rohr @ Apr 20 2007, 01:39 PM) [snapback]426835[/snapback]</div>
    WOW! Beautiful ! ! !
    Of course the point you missed somewhere way out there around Pluto was that Toyota aint bragging about their PHEV. GM, on the other hand continues to spin, and spin, and spin, and spin and spin . . . . . .

GM, makes pretty drawings ... rags on and on about what they're doing. Even making a web site pole to see how many prospective buyers their fake car 'MAY' draw . . . some day. Last count? I saw over 446,000 folks were lining up, despite GM's historic failures on the hybrid market.

So many folks still willing, yet not a single one of those 446,000 people may ever be able to actually buy a volt. Someone already made up a hypothetical "statement" for GM . . . when they pull the plug on it ... as they seem to already be getting ready to do. Imagine this, as GM's backpeddle speech (because I have such a good sense of humor):

. . . clearly, the market only exists in people's minds. . . . <patronizing tone of voice> . . . you see, much as GM would love to sell cars that are good for the environment, they can't force people to buy cars that they don't want. <soft vilolin music begins as tone of voice gets stronger and more assertive> Instead, we are responsible to our shareholders to only build cars that people actually buy. . . . So GM has committed to building fuel cell cars using money provided by the government . . . which will be here any day . . .

I can hear it now (shaking head).

6. jonathanrohr

jonathanrohr New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Apr 21 2007, 04:51 PM) [snapback]427413[/snapback]</div>

10 years away, not any day.. always 10 years. ;)

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonathan Rohr @ Apr 21 2007, 08:54 PM) [snapback]427614[/snapback]</div>
    "Jam yesterday and jam tomorrow. Never jam today."