1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Volt premium gas only

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by alfon, Oct 21, 2010.

1. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is there any truth to the Volt's engine only running
    on premium gas?

If its true and with the engine powering the vehicle
    after the electricity is gone you get 33 MPG the engineers should
    be fired.

If this is the case for 15,000,000,000 dollars and two years of
    research in development your tax dollars
    were wasted on the GM's bailout.

alfon

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    *** Moved to Volt forum ***

Please remember to start your topics in the proper forum!

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, premium fuel is required, not optional. This would mean, you'll void the warranty if you use 87 Octane gas.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The premium fuel gets discussed here:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/chevrolet-volt/85573-motor-trend-first-drive-volt.html

For those who will rarely has the ICE, the premium gas, depending on formulation, may have a longer shelf life. Since most people don't know about Sta-bil, or that gasoline can actually go bad, GM was likely erring on the side of caution.

A tank of premium will cost a person an extra $1.80 over regular for the Volt. In my case, that's a lot cheaper than the 20 extra gallons of regular I would need to buy with my current car.

7. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes it is true and yes I agree it's shameful. It is a glaring mistake, an unacceptable oversight deserving of no forgiveness.
    That may be one of their supposed reasons, but I don't think it's the real one.

It would be far better to have said 87 is fine and tune the motor accordingly, then with some clock indicating last time the tank was filled if the tank was flirting with getting old the gas motor would kick in before it otherwise may have to to burn the fuel. That would be a reasonable solution and since few people will ever encounter it a far better one than pretending that they require premium in part for longer lifespan.

8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just came across this:
    About Face: Chevy Volt Can Run On Regular Gas – Gas 2.0

Turns out the Volt does have a knock sensor and can run on regular. The call for premium is likely CYA on GM's part. Even though the system will periodically turn on the engine to keep it lubed and burn off gas, premium gas is cheap insurance to head off complaints do to stale gas if the turnover rate isn't fast enough.

Another consideration is the EPA test. A standard test blend of gasoline is used. It likely doesn't have ethanol in it. In areas with an ethanol mandate, I think all areas where the Volt will be first released do, premium may be ethanol free. If so, that helps the drivers get closer to the EPA results.

Like the author of the article, I think it's bogus calling for premium. At least, without taking full advantage of it.

On a slightly different topic, Americans are 'penny-wise and a pound foolish' when it comes to gasoline. Once, years before gas hit $4 here, there were two gas stations across the intersection from each other. The cheaper one was packed. Traffic patterns alone could explain for one getting more business, but not why the other was empty. I went to the empty one, filled up, and was on my way, before most of the waiting people got to a pump.

If my car at the time had been running on fumes, it wasn't, it would have cost me 16 cents more than the using the cheaper place. Or just a penny more a gallon. The typical SUV, minivan, or even car of the time burnt that much gas or more waiting in line at the cheaper place.

I used to automatically discount vehicles that called for premium, but there is more to value that the flat price. If I can ever find out if the premium around me is ethanol free, I'll give it a try even though my car calls for regular. The increased fuel mileage may be worth the 20 cents.

1 person likes this.
  9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Will it void the warranty if the owner put in regular gas? The emission may go up with regular gas as well.

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Under current law (Moss-Fergussan Act?) the manufacturer has to prove the car owner's actions caused the failure to deny warranty coverage. First, the manual given out with the consumer bought car will have to say required. Then GM has to prove any damage is do to the use of regular gasoline. Even then GM couldn't flat out void the entire warranty. They could likely claim the fuel could poison many things under warranty, but would have a tough time saying it affected a problem with the suspension.

If it turns out to be that way, a person will likely have a tough time going up against GM in practice. The first people having sludging issues may not have had an easy time Toyota.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't understand the issue of premium fuel with fuel efficient vehicles. I can understand it with regular vehicles cause there is the extra cost (e.g. you have two vehicles that are identical in engine size, output, weight and mpg.. of course the one that requires premium will cost more... and the difference is larger, the lower the mpg).

But with a fuel efficient car, I don't think it adds up to much. My smart fortwo costs the same to refuel as a Yaris (assuming the same distance travelled of course)

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't think it is the cost but the concept. People buying the Volt doesn't want to use gas. To have to use the premium (more expensive) gas is just goes against Volt's Kool-Aid.

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have this (probably completely wrong) idea about premium fuel that it is used in performance cars or as a crutch for a lousy ICE. If this notion is common it might explain things a bit, since no one confuses the Smart or the Volt with a race car.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mostly because these performance cars put the engine under higher stress. A MINI also requires premium fuel for its 1.6 litre. It could be to do with brand image?

Yeah but you're barely using any....

I wonder if they're the same ppl that decide they should "treat" their car every once in a while by filling their tank with premium fuel.

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    my wife resembles that remark. At least she makes do with 88 octane.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol...

well at least for the Gen 3, Bob suggests mid-grade (89) for longer trips. I forget which thread he posted with all the graphs that he usually makes to support the recommendation...

17. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is it for me, and I do not treat my other car to premium from time to time.

If I'm pressing the 93 octane button when I get back in the car and floor it I better get slammed in my seat for the cost. I do not want to compromise in this. I will not put premium into a car that is slower than my minivan (which BTW takes 87 also). I won't. I am philosophically opposed to it. And morally opposed and diametrically opposed and generally put off by the entire concept.

18. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think this is a big deal.
    Given The Volts projected MPG's whether someone is filling with Regular or Premium isn't going to make much difference.

My speculation is the GM wants the VOLT to run as strongly as possible, with as little potential negative publicity. If they said run it on regular and early adopters complained of knocking and pinging?

Better just to go with premium.

19. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It wouldn't do that if it was tuned for 87. My guess is that as things started getting on with the Volt they basically had this discussion:

"Uh, boss, this thing's mileage is going to really suck after the batteries are exhausted."
    "Crap, what if we use premium, can you squeeze out a few more MPG? I'd rather higher MPG and hope people don't realize it requires premium. Make it so!"

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Point taken. When you do use it, you can bet it will consume more (expensive fuel) and pollute more than a comparable non-hybrid.

Buyers coming from 15 MPG SUV and trucks may not mind but it is a step backward for the current hybrid owners (even for decent non-hybrid including TDI owners).

Those long trips will be painful, knowing you have a substandard gas engine on-board.

Engine maintenance (every 6 weeks) and fuel maintenance (empty the entire than annually) will be painful as well.