1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Volt Stat Adds Daily Driving Histograms

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by drinnovation, Apr 8, 2012.

1. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some new features were recently added to voltstat.net and I though some people here might find them interesting. It allows one to look at the frequency of daily distances (as driven, if you return home with charge its not considering that). Green = EV miles per day, blue is CS_mode miles per day.

Here for example is is the overall daily driving distances
    [​IMG]

One thing to note here, from a PiP comparison perspective, is just how many days have > 13 (or 26 if you charged at both ends). Also interesting to note how many VOLT days have EV usage > than the average for a leaf (which I believe is 37 miles).

Here is my personal histogram
    [​IMG]

Were I might note the short "CS" mile trips are really the tail end of longer day trips (65 miles might break down as 40 EV + 25 CS)

You can get this for any voltstat driver by clicking on their ID and then selecting Daily Driving. Interesting to look at the splits across drivers with different efficiencies.

1 person likes this.
  2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This has a large number of leaf but only small number of volts included
    Data on Electric Car Driving Patterns from the EV Project | PluginCars.com

Interesting stats are leaf drivers plug in 1.1 times per day, volt 1.4. Mean distance between charges for leaf drivers is 30, 27 for volts. Volt drivers drive further each day.

1 person likes this.
  3. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks.. its is interesting that have 3629 leafs but only 218 volts.
    But yes I can see the larger battery would be charged less often.
    I'm guessing the study, however is just folks with L2 chargers (what they were providing for the study), which may make the results a bit skewed.

4. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a link to more of a full report on that one I gave you http://avt.inel.gov/pdf/EVProj/2012SAEHybridSympEVProj.pdf
    Yes it is people that have L2 chargers from the EV project The EV Project » Home from Ecotality and the DOE for volts and leafs. My city and many others are on different DOE programs that will provide reports.

With about 1/3 of the leafs, this one piece of data provides a good snapshot of what they are driving. For volts other information is needed. One of the things from the EVProject that stands out is the volt drivers are charging more often and driving their cars more miles per year. The average distance for leaf is only 28 miles per day.

5. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

My point was that since it is L2 for Volt, that may only be those folks that drive enough to warrant multiple plug ins per day. I did not even get an L2 as I cannot justify the cost given that 1 plug in per day is enough for 95% of all my trips. So this sample was skewed in terms of the number of charges.

6. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The volt numbers are definitely too low to get accurate statistics. voltstats is probably a better place to get information.

I am unsure which way the actual users go, but its not a bad theory to follow what is happening here. Volt drivers may be more likely to recharge at work, which would account for higher number of recharges a day. If someone can charge at work they may be more likely to buy a volt as they can do all the commute miles as a lieaf in BEV, but still have an ice for longer trips and to avert close situations. The average daily miles of leaf drivers does support the idea that a phev like the volt has adequate AER for many users. Volt drivers are more likely to take their cars on longer trips which accounts for higher number of average miles. Your story of needing more range than the leaf, as well as gwmort's recharging at work goes along with this narative. Until we get tens of thousands of driver statistics though we just won't know.

The public charging structure currently has low utilization. This may be because of a lack of cars, a lack of quick chargers, poor locations, or perhaps we don't need a large public charging structure. This is one thing the EV project is attempting to address.

7. scottf200

scottf200 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    More discussions with the author. Here is the latest changes with some explanatory text/examples. Pretty cool.

Volt Stats! Tracking real world usage of Chevy Volts in the wild...
    Below is for all users but you can just drill down to a specific user.

Blue Bars Represent: Total Mileage When Gas Used
    [​IMG]

Blue Bars Represent: Nothing - Show EV Only
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.