1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Volt's Latest Bad News-Couched as Good News

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by hill, Jul 19, 2010.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    As only GM can do, the Latest Volt spin, has just been spun:

Chevrolet Volt Battery Warranty Details and Clarifications

States following CARB smog laws typically give longer warranties on AT-PZEV (Advanced technology-partial zero emission vehicle) auto components relating to the technology that makes the cars cleaner. GM failed to meet AT-PZEV requirements. GM is granting a good sized warranty on the Volts battery/battery management system any way - to lesson the sting of that bad news. The down side for some states is the the Volt's hefty cost was going to be subsidized in part by tax incentives. Since the Volt failed to meet AT-PZEV standards, the price just got jacked up $5,000 because the $5K incentive requires the low emission car to hit the AT-PVEV standard. That will likely put a huge dent in Volt sales, if/when it makes it to market.

Have you ever watched a REALLY bad movie - where the producer refuses to submit it to the critics prior to release? Those movies always seem to be hiding the fact that they are not going to be too pleasing to most. For some reason, that just came to mind. (sigh) Too bad - the prospective Volt buyers will just have to keep buying the Prius.

;)

EDIT:
    What's strange to me is that GM brags about having the best warranty in the biz. Yet some manufacturers are going bumper to bumper for 100,000 ... yet GM only want to go 100K miles on its battery warranty. Oh well, I suppose for GM, that's a lot.

2 people like this.
  2. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Who gives a 100k bumper to bumper warranty?
    I know Toyota backs up their cars with a powertrain warranty thats 60% of the miles gm gives, and doesn't provide any rental cars for free like GM does. Whats that say about Toyota?

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    (I must have been thinking of my Prius extended 100K bumper to bumper warranty.)
    oops - I should have said 'power train' . . . . . my bad.

America's Best Warranty: Auto/Car/Vehicle Protection-10 Yrs/100K Miles | Hyundai

http://www.chrysler.com/en/lifetime_powertrain_warranty/

The point being, if these folks can do a longer warranty, one would think/hope GM would follow suit, if not just to win back disappointed customers.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Volt is dirtier than Prius by one class? How can the inferior outdated NiMH have 10 years / 150k miles warranty in Prius and the latest gen superior cover only 8 years / 100k miles?

It will be interesting to see how long Hyundai is going to cover Sonata hybrid battery. Both will come from LG.

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Actually, to qualify as a PZEV in California, by the CARB rules they must offer a 15 year warranty on the emission control system.

Drive Clean

1 person likes this.
  6. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It is certain GM cannot give 10yr/150K warranty on the Li-ion battery, the omission not to apply for AT-PZEV is on purpose to bypass the warranty requirement.

1 person likes this.
  7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    YES ~ and the future Volt? In 2013, GM supposedly WILL apply for AT-PZEV. How's THAT going to work? Let's say you buy a Volt in 2013 ... and after (example) 80,000 miles your EV range drops to (example) only 30 miles. Will you be entitled to a brand spanking new battery pack? It would seem so ... after all, you've lost over 20% of your EV capability, and the car no longer will meet its original AT-PZEV requirements ... right?

8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

Chevrolet Volt Battery Warranty Details and Clarifications

9. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    hyundai battery chemistry is different from gm's they use lithium polymer. The warranty will be at least 10 year 100k miles like the rest of the car. Toyota does not give those of us in non-carb states the benefit of the big warranty, but charge us the same price. I would be surprised if hyundai did not meet or exceed the TCH warranty on all parts.

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    So gm either does not have a fuel efficient car Or a decently for got to apply
    Definitely not a confidence builder

1 person likes this.
  11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    So gm either does not have a fuel efficient car Or a decently for got to apply
    Definitely not a confidence builder

12. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Its the CARB rules, and they are the same for everyone. The big incentives for car companies kick in, in 2012 to get at-pzev. I think gm was building in a lot of battery failures into its pricing of the volt, and decided to shorten the warranty and drop the pricing. The CARB rules penalize hybrids by calling batteries part of emissions control. When the prius was the only game in town, this only raised the price. But the rules have slowed the introduction of plug in hybrids and advancing the technology. If you look at that 2012 date, you will also notice that toyota, ford, and hyundai will all start selling plug in hybrids in that year.

I'm not disappointed in GM, I rather expected the warranty to be less than 10 years. I wasn't about to buy a volt anyway. It seems the biggest complainers about the volt warranty are prospective leaf buyers, and it is extremely unlikely that the leaf since it is not a hybrid will have a hybrid like 10 year 150,000 mile warranty.

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    How so ? Where is the penalty ?

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    By, "penalty" I believe he means "long warranty". If you have a long warranty (so the theory goes) - there's a greater chance a manufacturer has to go broke paying out on the long warranty. With GM stuff, that may be true. However, someone just posted on PC, an article about Prius batteries likely lasting 400,000 miles. Obviously, the Prius' long battery warranty (100,000 mile or 150,000) was in no way "penalized". Apparently, GM felt it WOULD penalize them. I guess they'd be the best to know. Ergo - the GM spin.
    ;)

15. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't understand how a battery warranty causes emissions to go bad. GM is partially responsible for putting this arcane rule in. If you read the toyota press releases you will realize they would have quite likely already had a lithium powered plug in prius if not for the warranty concerns. During the first years of prius importation the cost of possible battery problems were included in the price of the prius. No matter what hill says, this is how parts suppliers and auto manufacturers work. I should know, my father works for a supplier, and I have done manufacturing consulting to car companies.

Note that now that hyundai is showing off their lithium polymer sonata to the press, toyota has suddenly stopped saying that lithium is not ready. In fact they are going to use it in the redesigned TCH. Competition is forcing them to take a warranty risk on the newer better technology. This passes a cost to customers that would not be there if not for the arbitrary carb rules.

Given that battery failure is statistical, and higher and hot states, it is no wonder that in Texas Toyota doesn't give a 150,000 mile warranty. I'm not in a carb state. I do think its counter productive to give politicians in California all this power. First CARB mandated the electric car, then it killed it, then it made hybrids more expensive.

http://nissan-leaf.net/2010/06/21/nissan-leaf-warranty/

16. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You may have a point about getting customers back. But a Toyota owner can't really knock GM about warranty on new cars.

Gm provides a free rental car if repairs last over a day, Toyota does not.

Gm give an extra 40,000 miles on the powertrain than Toyota.

The only car company that beats gm 5 year 100k warranty is Kia/Hyndia 10 year 100k . I think they are doing a good job standing behind their product.

Also you say GM is only backing their batteries with a 100k warranty, thats all Toyota does for me. And from what i gather there is a bigger risk for the volt than the prius battery. Some people will drive only using the battery, so a 100k warranty is pretty good.

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I agree - 100K miles is pretty good for GM. However, the major disappointment comes from GM refusing to seek AT-PZEV status. That, in essence jacks the cost of the Volt up an additional $5,000 in California, which will likely be the largest market. And with a car that's already expensive at $40K - that's WAY more than the majority of the population can ever afford ... effectively killing the marketability of the Volt in CA as well as the other CARB states.

De ja vu. Gm is now free, to claim, "hey - we tried the green thing - but obviously no one wanted the Volt ... so we'll just have to go back to selling Suburbans & Silverados. We already know our customers only wanted suburbans & silverados any way." When GM claims, "well, CA is low on AT-PZEV rebate dollars and can only pay for the first 700 cars" ... IMO they are simply throwing up a smoke screen to make their alibis more palatable, and most wont' bite after all their prior deceptions.

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Excuse me ? You are forgetting the auto company litigation that *forced* the CARB change, my high rpm spin friend.

I find your arguments against a 150k warranty to be BS. It just forces GM to put its money where its mouth is. Novel idea for them.

19. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Please refresh my memory of the facts. IMHO CARB set the initial rules because GM's smith had a car, and they decided to subsidize it. Later they changed the rules. One reason others have presented was that CARB's chairman Alan C. Lloyd, had joined the California Fuel Cell Partnership. CARBs rules always favored big auto companies and tended to thwart entrepeures. If you read the quote I gave from the leaf reporting, carb claimed the non-competitive rules for warenty were so poluting lead acid batteries didn't end up anywhere. Ofcourse if you check with any of the producers of these batteries they A) will pay money for spent batteries as the materials are valuable and B) Don't produce one that will reliable hold all its charge for 10 years. So the rule keeps out Lead acid hybrids which we could have had cheaper years ago.

GM is now living with the non-competitive rule they helped get into CARB, well bad for them, but really bad for us.

If the lawsuit you are refering to is the one that the bush administration joined in, this was after CARB had already killed the electric car and shifted to hydrogen. CARB lost the lawsuit because they were trying to mandate cafe standards, which is the federal governments responsability and rightly so. The congress finally raised cafe standards against Big auto and big union objections in 2007. Outside of CARB and during big bad bush administration, Nissan developed the leaf and tesla developed the roadster. The leaf is really based on government incentives, but the new car company did it the free enterprise way. Free enterprise seems to be one thing that carb is severely biased against.

20. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    The 10/150 PZEV warranty rule is indeed stupid - in that current technology doesn't allow that. This is like saying all HDTVs should have 10 year warranty - in which case that industry wouldn't have taken off.

I think what CA should do is to pro-rate the warranty towards their carb calculations. That way there is some incentive to give longer warranties - but not mandates for an unusually long warranty.

2 people like this.