1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Volvo S40 vs. Prius

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Stringer, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Stringer

Stringer New Member

How can you explain these emissions?
    Volvo vs. Prius

Especially the CO is very low compared to Prius. Why is that? I cannot understand. Does this mean that one should buy Volvo instead Prius if he wants to protect the air we breath? CO is leathal I think, but CO2 only harmful for atmosphere or something like that.

2. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well the S40 is a PZEV/SULEV (that's US speak for low emissions) here depending on where you buy it. It's entirely possible that it's going to beat the Prius in some categories and not in others.

3. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We are talking about very low quantities here. In addition CO is very unstable and will try to become CO2 if oxygen is present. That is why CO IN CLOSED SPACES is considered dangerous.

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Actually, the reason CO is dangerous is because CO has a high affinity for the FE at the center of the hemoglobin molecule. Basically, once a CO has glommed on oxygens are excluded or kicked off if they're already there. Once that happens you blood carries decresing amounts of O2 around to where it's needed and you are slowly asphixiated. CO2 in high concentrations is also dangerous.

5. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oh, and CO is bad because in the lower atmosphere it causes the production of Ozone (O3). Ozone is a pollutant in the lower atmosphere. It's bad fer yer lungs. The NOx compounds are the other guys that create Ozone in the lower atmosphere. Unfortunately, when the NOx compounds get into the upper atmosphere they destroy Ozone. Chemistry is against us (or at least the idea of buring fossil fuels).

6. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Good reponses and to the point. But the choice is between the Volvo S40 and the Prius. I'll take the Prius for emissions even though the Volvo is a fine car (my other car is a Volvo XC 70). Could you add a sense of proportion to the detail you provide? How big is the problem which you describe?