1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vote for Prius vs Volt in Consumer Report's Moto Madness Round 1

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Consumer Reports has gotten into the competitve spirit of March Madness and has created Moto Madness. Moto Madness pits cars of similar aspects against one another until there is one champion to rule the automotive world. This is your chance to show that the Prius is way better than the Volt, so go on over to http://www.crdashboard.org and vote for the Prius and for your favorites from the other categories. Just in case you need some help remembering who to vote for, refer to the image above. http://www.crdashboard.org/

1 person likes this.
  2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm voting for the Prius but I've still got enough high octane running through my veins to vote for the Corvette too! :D

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    So the Prius is better because more people vote for it? I don't think so! Talk about "March madness"!!

Nice waste of time and resources!

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    10 years of satisfied owners will crush a new car, despite it's merits or lack thereof. Only Motor Trend editors would vote for the Volt. (mind you, they were not allowed to vote for the Prius)

5. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Shouldn't it be Prius vs Insight, Volt vs Leaf?

6. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Volt has an electric plug and a gasoline cap. It uses both forms of energy; and therefore, is a hybrid.

The Leaf, on the other hand, is not a hybrid because it only uses one energy source; electricity.

A full-size SUV (Ford Expedition gets EPA 14/19 mpg. Chevy Suburban gets EPA 15/21mpg) is not a hybrid because it only uses one energy source; blood.

7. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Prius lost to the Volt. Now it is the Fusion vs the Volt.

8. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Srsly?

9. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep, waste of time/resources just like the "real" march madness.

10. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I guess the millions upon millions of satisfied Chevy Volt owners were just too much for the humble little Toyota Prius contingent.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    BAHHHHH ! ! !
    You want an over-the-top look-at-me - way too FAST - needless fuel burner?
    [​IMG]
    Ahhhhh . . . to be young and foolish again

:D

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I hope the contest between Ford's offering against the Volt hurrys along ... if Volt's production ends as fast as the Hummer's production did, the results would be meaningless.
    ;)

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, they're not a spelling or grammar site after all....

Attached Files:

14. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As someone whose mother brought him up on Consumer Reports car ratings because of their honest objective quality,
    I am deeply depressed that CR has gotten into the stupid vote for one thing or the other despite knowing nothing about either sort of popularity game.
    In the immortal word of Charles Schulz,
    AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

15. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now *that* is truly revolting.

16. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Even though this is a bit late, the Volt is a plug-in parallel hybrid that has an electric only top end of about 70mph, but the gas motor runs to top up the batteries until it directly drives the wheels at 70 or so. What that means is the Volt is merely a hybrid. It is not an "electric" car in any sense of the word, like unto the Leaf. So the Leaf comparison won't work.

MPG for the Volt with a full tank running to empty is only about 41 mpg, not including the mgp cost to charge the battery from the outlet.

The Insight, on the other hand, has such horrible battery problems that the TSB calls for reflashing the ECU so that the batteries are hardly used at all. That way they die outside of warranty and Honda doesn't have to pay for their replacement. So the Insight is really just a mild hybrid, like unto the Tahoe.

I don't know how the Volt is a winner, unless it is a hyped Sheen sort of winner. Duh!

17. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think merely is a good term, how about its great because its a hybrid. The volt is a plug-in serial/parallel hybrid like the planned prius phv. The car can go up to 99 mph in electric mode and has a full electric range good enough for most americans comutes. This allows it to be a full time electric for some, which got marketed as extended range ev. The prius phv is a blended mode phev, where the engine kicks in under load even with battery power. The EV range is much shorter than the leaf which is much shorter than the tesla. I assume that chevy thought hybrid was a bad word so is trying to call the volt something different.

If that is how people will use it, it will be truely a disaster. But this is not how drivers will drive it. They will charge it up before the gas tank is empty except on long trips.

The way honda is handling this is horrible. The insight is not a full hybrid, but when driven for mileage gets close to prius mileage. Hyundai, Infiniti, porsche and others have added another clutch to allow the car to run on electricity alone making similar cars full hybrids.

Lol. Its a popularity contest. I think many still think of hybrid as a bad thing, and the prius is the poster boy. Much of this has to do with animosity towards prius drivers. When you let someone behind the wheel of the prius, especially one with 17" tires, they start to understand most of the problems are fud. Most that voted have never been in a prius or a volt.

CR madness. EPIC Fail when it comes to actually picking the best car.

1 person likes this.
  18. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Volt is not a parallel only hybrid , it is a series/parallel hybrid and uses a power split device similar (but certainly not identical) to the Prius.

The top electric speed on the Volt is 100 mph both in electric only or in CS mode.