1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vouch for It!

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by los panda, Dec 17, 2013.

1. los panda

los panda Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    had the idea to vouch (or condemn) some of the aftermarket stereo components that we have installed. i wasn't sure if each component merited its own thread; here's a thread to get it started.

use this thread to review/recommend your head unit, speakers, amps, etc.

head unit: alpine cde-hd149bt ($230 shipped from ebay)
    • bluetooth works great (good microphone)
    • 9 band parametric eq
    • screen is easy to read in direct sunlight
    • very pleased w the sound quality
    front speakers: image dynamics ctx65cs ($185 shipped from sonic electronix)
    they do everything well; best i've listened to in the <$500 range

rear speakers: image dynamics ctx65 ($130 shipped from sonic electronix)
    extremely strong mid bass, but can sound muddy at times. i do not recommend these - i'm sure there are better options for the price. learn from my mistake.

amp: alpine pdx-v9 ($428 shipped from amazon)
    has everything i need in a 5 channel amp; sound quality is delightful.

subwoofer: sundown audio sa-8 v.2 ($152 shipped from amazon)
    this thing is amazing; hits harder than the 2 alpine type-r 12" subwoofers from my last car. sound quality is there, depth is there, unbelievable for an 8" subwoofer. the recommended box takes up a little less than half of the trunk, but it's easily removable.

i'm vouching for everything except the image dynamics ctx65 coaxial speakers.

rcortespr likes this.
  2. los panda

los panda Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  3. Skunkworks

Skunkworks Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wouldn't say that the sundown 8" will hit harder than type R 12s I'm sure it has a lot to do with the box design and the power that you fed the type Rs

4. los panda

los panda Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    also the type of vehicle the subwoofer(s) is placed in, where the subwoofer is placed, the receiver, whether the vehicle has been deadened or not, etc.

i'm sorry if my comment may have been misleading, but i was referring to my own personal experience with my own vehicles and subwoofers.

the 2 type-r 12" subwoofers were in the [alpine] recommended ported box in the trunk of a 2003 altima. only the trunk and the 4 doors of that car had been deadened. they were powered by a jbl 1200.1 amplifier (> 1,200 watts rms / 1 ohm). i was using the alpine cds-7998 receiver.

in the prius c, the sa-8 v.2 8" subwoofer is placed in the "trunk", not a separate cabin. i've deadened the roof, doors, trunk area (in addition to the existing sound deadening on the floor). it is being powered by an alpine pdx-v9 (583 watts rms / 4 ohm). i am using the alpine cde-hd149bt receiver.

my sundown audio sa-8 v.2 hits significantly harder than my 2 alpine type-r 12" subwoofers.

the sa-8 v2 in this video has a slightly modified (spl coil), but you get the idea. i can't seem to find an example of 2 12" type-r subwoofers doing anything comparable.

5. jz13prius

jz13prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Was wondering if you had any pics of the install of the front mids and tweeters? Did you have any problem with the clearance of the window?

6. los panda

los panda Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two