1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VPNS speaker in different location on 2015 G3 + HID content

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by CHECKERED, Jan 19, 2016.

1. CHECKERED

CHECKERED Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Quick intro: new member here, I picked up a 2015 Prius Two for my GF for an awesome price, thank you low gas prices!

After driving her car at night, the halogen lights are completely inadequate and ugly, I drive a BMW E92 daily and my weekend car is a Audi S4,

I ordered an HID kit (more on that later) After a few days my GF complained about the spaceship noise generated by the VPNS, a quick search on the forums led me to a solution that was to disconnect the speaker and the location being in the driver side front quarter panel.

After opening the panel, I couldn’t find the speaker, and instead there was a black box of heavy steel bolted to the frame, I presume this is a frame reinforcement to increase the crash rating in the small overlap test.
    002.JPG

Further searching I found that the VPNS speaker 2014/2015 part number was slightly different, so this led me to believe the speaker is in a different location, I didn’t find any info on Google or any forums, I figured I will need to completely remove the front bumper (this will also make the HID install a bit easier)

Turns out the location of the speaker is in the front grill between the two horns, I don’t know if this applies to all MY2014/MY2015 my car is a October 2015 build.
    003.JPG

004.JPG
    I unplugged it and removed the speaker entirely, I also zip tied the harness to the horn harness so it doesn’t dangle around.

Also installed the HID kit, OPT7 Bolt AC series 35w, 5000K was a good compromise between color and output, 6000K being too dim while 4200-4500K has a tint of yellow (4200-4500K is not offered by OPT 7)

Comparison between the HID and the stock bulb
    005.JPG

Location of Driver side Ballast

006.JPG

2. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That VPNS speaker location is the same as my 2014.
    Maybe you should consider baking those lights and getting rid of the squirrel finder glare?

3. CHECKERED

CHECKERED Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don’t mind seeing the road signs…

the kit I have is not super bright like some kits that are 4300K or 55W