1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VR3 Backup camera Installation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ogsimmons, Feb 9, 2009.

1. ogsimmons

ogsimmons New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Being the 05 did not have a backup camera I went ahead and got a VR3 3.5 inch monitor backup camera. Trying to figure out where to place the monitor was a challenge :confused: as I did not want it on the dash. Installation was not fun being I choose to countersink the monitor in the visor :mad:.

First the camera mount was not really not that big a deal so I will run through it briefly.

1. Remove the inner panel on the hatchback by grabbing the upper corners and yank and you have to remove the top panel and one side panel (all with clips) also. Now determine where you want your camera located. (I chose the left hand side next to the license plate (facing rear)) Made a template from the back of the camera and marked it accordingly at its mounting location. Drilled 3 holes 2 for the mount and one for the wire. Added a strip of trim molding two-sided tape to the back of the camera aligned the holes using an pick and adhered the camera to the body. Installed camera using screws and washers.
    2. Determine what side you want to tap into your backup light wire and route your wiring accordingly. Run your wire through one of the rubber boot at the top for your transition from the hatchback door to the main body. A bent coat hanger with a small hook works well to fish out the wire. Just route it down the side with enough wire left to make your connections at your chosen backup light harness. The kit comes with Scotch Locks if you want to use them. I don't like them so I use solder and shrink tubing for a sanitary look. Camera is installed.
    The real challenge of this installation was the countersinking of the monitor into the visor.:eek:
    1. Remove the visor by removing 2 mounting screws and disconnect the micro connection.
    2. There is a small snap ring that holds the mount to the shaft. A flat head worked fine here. Note: if you decide you want to put your monitor in your visor you will be required to reupholster the visor.
    3. The visor is made of two-piece molded plastic and snaps together like Lego. Unsnap the visor into two pieces.
    4. Make a template of the monitor (a little undersized).
    5. The slide door of the vanity mirror has to be cut down for the monitor to install. Note: there is a ground interrupt wire assembly which has to be removed. But keep the micro plug for use later. But for now cut the wires inside the visor and remove the harness from the hollow visor arm.
    6. Using a dremel or something similar cutout the template area for the monitor. Round the edges for a clean transition for the upholstery.
    7. Put the 2 pieces of the visor together and test fit the monitor fit. Make any adjustments as required.
    8. Now take the jack and wire that came with the unit and cut it 18 to 24 inches. You need to cut off the end of the visor arm (inside visor end) to open the other end. Now feed the wire through the visor arm and solder the saved micro plug wires.
    9. Now you must remove the vanity light assembly to remove the ground interrupt. Simply remove the plug at the light assembly, locate the two ground wires leading to the other end of the micro plug. Cut the interrupt (Ground wire) and solder the ground wire making it one and one to the micro plug and the other wire to the Red wire completing the circuit.
    10. Test the circuit to make sure you have 12 volts at the plug. Recheck the wiring at the visor before you connect it. Connect the plug and hit the on button on the monitor. If you get a red indicator light, you’re good to go.
    11. Remove the camera and vanity mirror assy from the visor.
    12. Now match your interior (got mine at JoAnne’s and they matched it with headliner material) Make a pattern from your old visor material. Sew it inside out about ¾ the way. Turn it right side in and insert the visor into the visor material. Make sure the visor arm is folded about 2/3’rds out. When you get close to the bottom open a slot in the pattern to free the arm. At the other end apply contact cement on the plastic visor portion exposed and on the edges of the material. (make sure you have a lot of little clamps) Place clamps all around the exposed areas. Let dry and trim away excess.
    13. Vanity mirror placement. From each corner with a razor blade cut a line towards the middle and a horizontal line to meet the corner cuts. Take the vanity mirror and press fit it into place.
    14. Monitor placement do the same as step 13 but before you place it in place connect the power jack into the unit at an angle to the left and finally press fit it into place.
    15. Connect the micro plug from the visor arm to the one from the headliner. Reinstall the visor.
    16. Test the unit. Hit power button on the Prius lower visor and turn on the power button on the monitor and put your car in reverse. All should work well and now just adjust the monitor settings to your preference.:D

2. BerkshirePrius

BerkshirePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A few thoughts...
    How can your eyes focus on the monitor so close to your face and still be able to glance out the windshield, etc.? There are companies that make a replacement rearview mirror that functions as a monitor, or you can integrate the video into the MFD.

3. ogsimmons

ogsimmons New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

:)First, thank you for your comments and I offer the following. The location in the visor is not too close and is quite comfortable for viewing. My choice to put it in the visor had many reasons most of which it is out of the way and ascetically pleasing. I did not want it on the dash board or vent clip. Changing to a video mirror (which I looked at) did not please me ascetically. I want to thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.
    [​IMG]