1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VSC/ABS Saved my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by unruhly, Apr 4, 2006.

1. unruhly

unruhly New Member

This past weekend, on my first long road trip to Raleigh NC, I was travelling a 2 lane rural road and out of nowhere jumps a deer right in front of me. I slammed the brakes and cranked the wheel to the left to avoid head on impact (fortunately no oncoming cars).

All I could think of was the damage that this stupid creature was gonna inflict to my car.

I heard the warning beeps from the VSC and felt the car 'settle' as the tire sqealing lessened and the loud thunk of the deer hitting the side of the car reverberated through my head. What a terrible sound that was.

But I also felt the car tweaking. There is no doubt that the car was actually twisting itself and I immediately thought about the BT brace and how it would have improved the feel of this defensive maneuver.

After my heart returned to a normal rate, I mustered the courage to inspect the damage to the right side of the car. Low and behold I couldn't find any. Nothing, nada. Not a scuff, scrape or even a clean spot from the previous day's rain film was there where the deer should have hit.

What happened? Did the deer actually miss my car and something underneath the car popped (stock stiffenting plate maybe) when the car tweaked? I'm still in total disbelief that the deer did not hit the car. It was such a loud THUNK.

I welcome your input/similar experiences.

BTW... 61 MPG average for a 350 mile round trip. Woohoo!

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

No slam intended, but I doubt you could feel the car being bent. More likely, you felt oddball steering response (given the power assist was being tweaked by VSC), as well as funny non-linear braking (again as VSC did it's thing). A little ABS brake thumping, and the kinetic inputs would obsure a driver's ability to feel the car bend, something I would doubt in the first place. A good idea to get it up on a rack and inspect for bent pieces, though. Maybe it weasn't the bodywork that was hit but something under the car (frame, exhaust, suspension, tire/wheel?).

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    RTFM!!!
    I'm so tired of people posting questions who haven't fully read, memorized and transcribed into san skrit the entire owner's manual for the Prius.

If you had done those things you'd know that not only did you activate the ABS and VSC, but also the VFF--the Vehicular Force Field.

The "thunk" (such a crude word really) you heard was the MCC/ff--Master Capacitor Control circuit for the Force Field engaging. And anyone with a simple basic knowledge of force fields knows that you can't "hear" or feel any object striking the force field. The "bending" you felt was simply a small EMF pulse as the kinetic energy of the deer contacting the VFF was converted into electrical current....which, of course, was immediately sent through the MG2 inverter to your HV NiMH battery pack. Probably added at least 1mpg to your overall tank MPG average. ;)

4. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

First the you tag and now this. Efusco, you should be banned again!

B)

/joke

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 4 2006, 01:27 PM) [snapback]234787[/snapback]</div>
    Did the deer get a charge out of it too? :)

6. unruhly

unruhly New Member

EFUSCO:

"Each year there are approximately 500,000 deer/auto collisions. This results in over 100 deaths and thousands of injuries. Deer/auto collisions cost the auto insurance industry about $2,000 per claim."

Having had a car totalled in a deer collision which nearly took the life of one of my children, I find your reply offensive and belittleing. I most certainly assume that wasn't your intention but c'mon. Do you see any smilies in my post? Save this s&%t for FHOP.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unruhly @ Apr 4 2006, 01:59 PM) [snapback]234820[/snapback]</div>

Seriously, get out a little, find a life...there was clearly nothing offensive in that post and if we can't laugh at life then we might as well quit completely.

I'll put you down as another vote to white wash the forum.

8. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unruhly @ Apr 4 2006, 01:59 PM) [snapback]234820[/snapback]</div>
    Wow! that is the most thinskinned response I've seen in a long time. Don't take this as a knock, but for your health's sake you should seriously think about getting off of the web. If a tounge in cheek (well written) response set you off like this there are many many other worse things on the web that may cause you physical harm via a stroke or heart attack.

9. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Unruhly,

You are OK. If the car still has good alignment it is OK. Tires will skid before the car breaks. How is the deer?

And yes the VSC/ABS did a great job.

10. unruhly

unruhly New Member

:lol: GOT YA Back Evan! Ha Ha. I'm still the best damn PC poster of the year .! :lol:

Tag, your it. But seriously, the deer thing did happen this past weekend.

I'm just happy as all get out that my new Prius didn't get THUNKED! :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etyler88 @ Apr 4 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]234884[/snapback]</div>

I am going to crawl up under the car tonight if there's still a litle light left to check for venison remnants. I'll let you know.

11. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I think I felt VSC engage for the first time in my 2004 Prius. I was driving through some light snow over Hwy 50 in Tahoe while going around a curve. I definitely wasn't anywhere near losing control, but a little faster than a very conservative person would drive.

I felt and heard a single brake being applied on one of the rear wheels. I think there was a little bit of tire squeal at the same time. It was louder than I would have expected and a bit startling, but definitely not as loud as striking something.

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unruhly @ Apr 4 2006, 03:35 PM) [snapback]234889[/snapback]</div>
    It's on now...., gloves off, jock strap on.... touche' :D

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    something shifting in the backseat or trunk maybe?

and let me guess. that deer was in NC wasn't it? they're AWFUL around here, see em dead in the center of the business district all the time.

14. unruhly

unruhly New Member

Galaxee: It was indeed right near the Virginia and North Carolina border.

I climbed under the car last night and didn't see a thing. Maybe it was something flying around in the back under the rear compartment. I didn't think of that. Thanks you guys!

And Evan... No hard feelings k? Take the gloves off. :(

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unruhly @ Apr 5 2006, 08:01 AM) [snapback]235206[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, wanna go bare knuckles eh!! <_<

Glad the car's OK. As someone who commuted 100+ miles daily when I was living in Alaska and dodging my share of mooses in the process I know the horror of that kind of encounter. Likewise I've taken care of a number of people who's cars were destroyed when they hit a moose or severely damaged by a deer. I even had to take care of someone who hit a person at freeway speed. It's all horrific and I'm very glad I was able to make light of your situation rather than help Danny set up another memorial for a PC member.

16. unruhly

unruhly New Member

and I'm very glad I was able to make light of your situation rather than help Danny set up another memorial for a PC member.

Very well said Evan. I concede now that you have shown your sincere side.

And why am I getting double Carriage Returns? I can't find a setting for that.

17. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Amazing! But the fact that you didn't even see a clean spot in the rain film tells me you missed the dear. A deer making a loud THUMP would certainly make dents, at the least. Remember that the car is designed to absorb impact shocks by crumpling. As for the thump, that seems a mystery. Evan, what you been smoking, man? I sure hope you're not getting into the prescription pain-killers. :rolleyes:

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 5 2006, 09:58 AM) [snapback]235250[/snapback]</div>
    You can smoke prescription pain-killers! :blink:

19. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unruhly @ Apr 4 2006, 04:35 PM) [snapback]234889[/snapback]</div>
    This reminds me of a few years back, when I still live in Pennsylvania, I watched the car in front of me try to straddle a dead dear on Rt 222. But, the dear/carcass was too big, and he ended up with lots of deer entrails and hide hanging from his exhaust system and rear axle! :blink: It was so gross that it was funny, and I laughed until I cried, watching all that stuff smoking on his exhaust as he drove. :lol: He got off at the same exit I did, and I watched him turn into the Holiday Inn. I couldn't help but wonder how bad that stench was going to be, for days to come! :eek:

20. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    MMMM' exhaust grilled deer