1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VSC and other cautions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TxAggie94, Apr 11, 2011.

1. TxAggie94

TxAggie94 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2006 Prius with 79K miles

Friday I had a rough encounter with a curb on the left side. Maybe unrelated?

Two days and 600 miles later, while driving, cruise cuts out, a/c compressor stops and ICE RPM becomes erratic, accompanied by check engine, ABS, VSC and master caution lights. If I stop and shut down car for a few minutes, I can restart with only master and check engine lights and the ICE, cruise and a/c all work...for a little, then the above items fail and the remaining lights come back. Also, the headlights intermittently dim. Once, the red parking brake light came on, accompanied by a continuous warning tone. It later extinguished.

Braking works fine (so far), and the hybrid system seems to work fine.

Anything simple I should check before getting it in to the dealer?

Thanks

2. TxAggie94

TxAggie94 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Forgot to add, getting DTC P0A93.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is a problem with the inverter cooling pump, P0A93. This part was recalled. You need to have it fixed at the dealership, if you want it done for free. The repair involves a new pump and a gallon of coolant for the inverter cooling system.

When this code is in place, all of the car's electronics are run off the 12V battery, and A/C will be offline. If you have the stock battery, it is being totally hammered, as it is not capable of running everything for much more than 5-10 minutes. In short order, the voltage sags so low that you will get all kinds of brake codes because sensor voltages drop below minimum requirements, and shortly after that the battery will be so low that the computers shutdown, and the car will turn itself off. I suggest that you put your 12V on a charger, at 4 amps or less, for several hours, then drive straight from your house to a dealer.