1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VSC briefly flickered this morning.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by p21usa, Apr 20, 2006.

1. p21usa

p21usa New Member

I was driving my usual route and talking "hands free" to my dad on the phone when I noticed the little car skid icon flash off and on erratically for just a brief moment. Kinda weirded me out since I haven't seen anything but a seatbelt light on my dash since I got it (it has 2750 miles). I was going only 25 mph, approaching a stop light, semi braking, the road has some potholes. But, like I said, I drive this every day and this has never happened. Is it anything to worry about?

P

2. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(p21usa @ Apr 20 2006, 09:56 AM) [snapback]242585[/snapback]</div>
    I've seen my ABS light flash while braking over uneven pavement. It doesn't take much whel lockup to activate the ABS, and presumably, the VSC. Probably totally normal.

3. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    It wasn't the VSC light (vehicle stability control). Probably was the traction control. I've had the little car skid icon come on when going over rough potholes, since the car is sensing the free-spinning wheels (loss of traction) and cutting power to eliminate the slip.

If ya REALLY want to test VSC, get to a snow/ice covered parking lot and try to get the car to go sideways. You'll here some beeps and the car WON'T let u go out of control. The traction control light (the car skid icon) may come on in conjunction with the VSC, but the VSC will just beep at u when it's engaging. I think the only VSC lights u see is upon start-up as it goes thru a diagnostic.

Cool system. Smart car.

Enjoy!

Curt. ;)

4. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Agree with finman. It's not VSC light, it's the traction control light. It happens all the time on wet and uneven roads.

5. p21usa

p21usa New Member

Thank you all! I appreciate the fast response. We are heading south for a big trip next weekend, biggest so far in the new car, and I just want to make sure there wasn't any reason to take it to the dealer beforehand.
    This website is an invaluable resource.

P

6. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've only seen the little orange car-skid icon a handful of times, in various driving conditions.

First time was after a good rain, I was coming to a stop on a wet road on a slight downhill grade, and applied the brakes at around 20mph. The icon flashed on for a split second, I thought I was seeing things but definitely saw an orange icon in my peripheral vision.

Second time and a few other times thereafter was when I was making various right turns at traffic lights and 'floored it' to get up speed pretty quickly. Momentarily lost power to accellerate and the little orange car-skid icon flashed for a second before the tires got a grip and I went along on my way.

Funny thing is that the little orange car-skid icon never showed up during the week that I was driving around on snow and ice in the mountains, when I thought for sure the driving surfaces would have some slipperyness to them. Go figure! :)