1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VSC(!) light car switches to Neutral- Danger Danger

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Drmom21, May 24, 2012.

1. Drmom21

Drmom21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For the past year or so now under many different driving speeds, mainly 45-65mph and only on flat roads with varied temperatures (so basically nothing out of the ordinary).... The vsc light (!) goes off - system says pull over and reset the parking brake....as it simaltaiiously shuts off the A/C and switches the car into NEUTRAL!!! Not cool when driving at ANY speed!!!!! Let alone the couple times I was on the highway doing 55 and had to cross lanes of traffic with a car in neutral. Every time this happens I have reported and taken my car to the same dealer where I purchased (and have had service) it. The last time they had it they replaced 3 computers that they thought were miscommunicating to each other ( I got charged for two and they absorbed man hours and gave me a loaner car for the week they had it). After that it did fine until TODAY 5/24/12!! It did it AGAIN!!!!!! Now what ? I called them and they want me to bring it in again.... Yes again I will get a loaner but after already having spent $1800 I hesitate to see what the next round of educated guesses will do to my wallet. HELP ME SOMEONE PLEASSSSSSE

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Can you tell us the codes they found each of those times? What have they replaced?

3. Drmom21

Drmom21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They replaced the following:
    Hybrid ECU
    Power Source Control ECU
    Ignition Control Relay
    P-con Relay
    Plus another ECU last time I was in for this same reason.
    They checked all wiring for animal activity and found none.
    Inspected:
    All wiring
    Pin connectors and harness

The codes that they said came up were"generic" and couldn't send them to any particular piece of equipment.

I am incrediably concerned that it will take my dying (when it happens again and I'm crossing lanes of traffic to turn and can't move fast enough out of another vehicles way) to finally get Toyotas attention! I e-mail TOYOTA customer service who simply told me to take it up with my local dealer!!! Wth Toyota!?! I really love my car.... We are rounding 132k miles and it's been amazing until THIS. Wish I knew what to do :/

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Check the inverter coolant pump ( a component that is a weak design ) for proper operation. You inverter may be overheating.

Mellors Automotive in Melborne, Fl is a good independent Prius repair facility.

JeffD

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2nd that. Take it somewhere else (Mellor's) for diagnosis. That dealer ain't cuttin' it.

6. ccdisce

ccdisce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please be carefull, your death should not be required to fix this problem and I would be aprehensive about driving this vehicle myself.
    Have you tried to get in touch with the local Toyota Field Reprentative?
    Knowing a little about how the CAN Bus works, I can see why Dealer service departments are looking at the CAN Bus computers and other devices such as relays that switch power to computers.
    Has this car ever had water inside the cabin caused by a broken windshield or open window? Excessive moisture on the connectors of the wiring harness especially the CAN connectors could cause errors on the Bus leading to the computers executing their Bus Off protocol.
    In a Prius when the ECUs abandon the CAN Bus they loose their view of each other and get into a Panic Attack shutting down hopefully into a 'safe limp to the side of the road mode' and hopefully you can make it safely to the side of the road dodgeing high speed traffic.

The last time I counted there could be 7 connections on that bus hence 7 rat holes to be tested.