1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VSC light on caused by out of gas?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CALAH1, Feb 2, 2008.

1. CALAH1

CALAH1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi all,

I am a new owner of 08 Prius since September 07. Yesterday, I had my VSC light on, and then followed by the Hybrid light on (big red "!"). I stopped my car and had my car tolled to the dealer for analysis. This morning, the dealer called back and told me that the malfunction was caused by "out of fuel" and they need to recalibrate the hybrid system. Since this is not covered by warranty, I need to pay $380 out of my pocket.

I've been reading lots fo posts on "out of gas". Yes, I admit that I'm such a happy Prius owner, so this time (at 430 miles) I forgot to pump my gas But I'm just not happy to hear that if I run out of gas, the hybrid system will get choked up and I have to pay $380 for some diagnosis to make it working again. If calibration is a necessary step to perform after running out of fuel, I truely believe it is a design defect!

I'm seeking advice from any one who has had experience on running out of gas on Prius, is the car back to normal running mode after you fill up the tank or it needs to be recalibrated by the dealer?

Appreciate any feedback you can provide on this matter!!!

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All you had to do is fill the tank and you should have been fine. I've never heard of the need to "recalibrate the hybrid system" due to running out of gas. I think the dealer is lining his pockets.

3. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Senior Fjord Architect

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Second that. About 1.5 years ago, my wife drove home and ran out of gas as she turned onto our street. Neither of us knew about the guess gauge at the time. She said the pip just started flashing on the last mile or two before she got home, then she got the exclamation point of death right before pulling into the garage. To that point, we had always been able to go several miles on the last pip. We never pushed it, but that's how it worked out.

I went down to check it out. It started right up, no warnings or anything except for the normal fuel warning. I shut it down and restarted, and headed out to get gas. I got a 1/4 mile toward the station a mile away when I got the warning and shutdown. I limped it another 1/4 mile on battery power down to one bar. I walked the remaining 1/2 mile and bought a can and gas. After fighting with the gas can spout and the Prius' fuel filler for a half hour, I got enough in to drive the last half mile to fill up. After driving it for a short time, and going through a few power cycles, the check engine light went out too.

The moral of my long-winded story is most of the time, it's bad but not disastrous. Running out of gas is easy to do and a major PITA in the Prius, and can be disastrous if you do it several times or seriously overdrain the hybrid battery even once. But if you just run out once, limp on the battery to the side of the road and get more gas before restarting, it should not cost you $400 to recalibrate anything. The most it should cost is a call to AAA (or equivalent) and some embarrassment.

What dealer did you go to? You say you're in CA, so if it's one in LA County or northern Orange, and you don't want to post the name publicly, PM me. We had the Prius there for about two years and a Camry there for a year before that. I'm familiar with some, and can tell you if they're likely to be on the up-and-up.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I said it before and I'll say it again.
    Look for fuel when you are down to 2 bars on the gauge, it is urgent when you are down to 1 bar and critical when it flashes. Always fill when you are down to 2 bars. It has no affect on fuel economy to fill more often.

The fuel gauge is right in front of the driver, even more in front than the speedo, what more can Toyota do?

I also think you are being over charged for an unnecessary service.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You were ripped off, but as the others have said, when it needs gas, fill it up. That's what the gas gauge is for.

Tom

6. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I ran out of gas in my prius before, and it died. (I also had all the warning lights) All I did was dump a can of gas in it. Then I drove it straight to the gas station. The warning lights completely went off as soon as I filled the tank. That was 20,000 miles ago.

7. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree with others that the dealer ripped you off. I would try and get details of what exactly happens in a "calibration". If you get a red ! triangle, that usually disappears after a few restarts unless there really is a problem.

8. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The recalibration may be to ensure the car will run for longer on a blinking final bar, however I wont bother testing that theory.

I ran out of fuel in my work car because the 6 cylinder Commodore was calibrated for a V8 Commodore fuel tank. That was fixed under warranty.

9. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I'd fax or email the bill to Toyota customer care people and see if they will refund it (and probably charge the dealer themselves!)

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At least it's not likely that he'll let it run out of gas again...

11. CALAH1

CALAH1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply.... It's a hard lesson to learn that don't ever wait too long to pump the gas after blinking!

I took your advise and took the car back from the dealer (without $380 diagnosis). Pumped the full tank of gas and the big red ! was gone. I'm so glad I didn't buy into the diagnosis package they tried to sell me. Dealer always tries to sell you services that you don't need :(

12. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, read my lips, fill up when down to 2 bars. If you have only 1 bar on the fuel gauge you have no idea how much fuel you have. Filling more often won't wreck your fuel economy.

I use my situation as an example of the effect of filling on 2 bars rather than 1.

I fill about every 800km at 2 bars.
    If I filled at 1 bar I would get an extra 100km from the tank.
    I fill every 3 weeks so I fill less than 18 times a year.
    If I filled at 1 bar I would get 100km more from a tank or 1.5 more day roughly.
    I would fill my car about 16.5 times a year or save 1.5 fills per year.
    If I keep my car for an average length of time, say 5 years I will save about 7.5 fills in that 5 years by filling at 1 bar not 2.

It takes 5 minutes to fill up. 5 minutes times 7.5 equals 37.5 minutes.

How long does it take for a tow truck or road side service to come if you run out of fuel? 38 minutes wouldn't be far off and if you drive after running out of fuel you might blow your drive train warranty.

13. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

There'll be a comfortable cushion of remaining gas then when the last PIP starts flashing. 2 bars is being a bit too cautious... after all, you still have room to go down to 1 bar, and then a bit more before it flashes. Filling more often won't wreck fuel economy, but waiting a day to fill up could mean a couple bucks more in your pocket when the price of gas drops (ie the weekend).

14. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Out of curiousity, which dealer did you deal with? I'm in CA too....

15. jim240

jim240 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I fill up at three PIPs, but I have a 100 mile round trip commute. I also had an F250 diesel that would act funny if you ran the fuel lower than 1\4 tank in town (all the sloshing around) It also took 38 gallons to fill it up!! I,m shure some of you know how long it takes to pump 38 gallons into a foaming diesel tank, plus fuel treatment. Pumping 8 gallons of regular into a Prius a few extra time a year is a piece of cake. And you can always find a pump a 4:30 in the morning.