1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VSC light, Red Triangle, Check Engine, wont go into drive or reverse

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 08Priuss, Jul 30, 2019.

1. 08Priuss

08Priuss New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was driving my Prius and a lot of lights came on (picture attached). I was no longer able to accelerate and the car stopped. I checked the 12v battery with a multimeter and it was reading around 12.4v. I also checked the AM2 fuse and it is still good. I tried changing it with a different fuse and everything remained the same. Then I put the dash screen in diagnostic mode and the battery read a little under 12v, ~11.6. When I turned on the car the voltage increased to around ~13v. I took the battery to an autoshop to have it tested and they said it was 100% charged. I am able to put the car on drive put it dies after about 1 or 2 seconds. I can see the battery on the screen, not in diagnostic mode, drain in 1 or 2 seconds and that's when the car dies. After that I am no longer able to put the car on drive or reverse, just neutral. The vehicle has ~205,000 miles.

Attached Files:

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You will need to retrieve the logged diagnostic trouble codes.

08Priuss, SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does it have gas? Dying while you're driving usually is a failed inverter pump or no gas going to motor.

08Priuss, Skibob and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

What does the hv battery display show?

Remember you can only start the Prius so many times before the hv battery is drained too far and it won’t start again;).

See above advice for further assistance:).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

08Priuss, Skibob and JC91006 like this.
  5. 08Priuss

08Priuss New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you all for all the help. The car has more than half a tank of gas. I checked the reservoir tank when it was on and I was able to see turbulence. I also put my hand on the inverter water pump and I could feel it working. I will be getting a device to check the diagnostic codes on Friday. I took off the three connections to the battery in the back. This reset the red triangle and the dash battery meter showed six lines (picture attached). However, when I turned on the vehicle the battery drained to one line in like 4 seconds. Then it showed the red triangle again along with all the other lights. I also included pictures of the dash screen in diagnostic mode reading the battery when the vehicle was off and when I turned it on.

Attached Files:

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A bad battery will not disable your car while you're driving it, it may put it into limp mode where you have reduced power. But it would not disable the car.

If your description of how the car got disabled is accurate, you probably have a bad fuel pump.

#6 JC91006, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Skibob, Raytheeagle and strawbrad like this.
  7. 08Priuss

08Priuss New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got the codes with two different devices. One device game me two codes and the other device gave me one code.

1) Bluetooth OBDII Reader : Codes P0a80 and P3190

2) Zurich ZR13 : Code P3190

Attached Files:

8. 08Priuss

08Priuss New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    More pictures from Zurich ZR13 (code P3190) Toyota Stored

Attached Files: