1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VSC on gravel hills

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by thutchins, Nov 19, 2007.

1. thutchins

thutchins New Member

I love my Prius, but... I have a gravel driveway with a steep hill and every car I've ever had slips a bit on the gravel going up the hill. This has never been an issue till now. As soon as my Prius tires slip a bit I loose all momentum, once the VSC kicks in, and it's tough to get going again since I'm stopped and the tires slip even worse. Tried getting up speed to make the run but always slips a bit and I'm done, also tried going slow, no help. Is there any way to turn off the VSC temporarily???

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take a run at it and glide until you get down to 1 MPH? If that doesn't work you'll have to try different tires.

3. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    VSC isn't the problem. Traction control is the problem.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Go up your driveway in reverse.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a problem...reverse has worked for some folks, but be prepared for a harsh electrical/burning smell.
    My lake house has a steep gravel hill and usually I get up fine, but the other day I stalled out about 2/3rds up...finally backed down and got a run at it to get up...
    It seems to be better with recent grating...ie. smoother gravel rather than rutted is easier.

Since I don't frequently drive my prius up the hill at my lake house it's not a major issue...if it were like that at my home I'd bite the bullet and have it paved.

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just 2 strips of bricks would do the trick, no need to have all the driveway paved. Could even look good too. Or you could try road base compacted into the gravel.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's the traction control, and yes, it causes problems with gravel. There is a diagnostic mode that turns off traction control, but it's not meant for driving. You can burn out the electric motor without it. What type of tires are you using? The stock Goodyear Integrity tires are not very good in low traction situations. I had a lot of trouble with them on steep gravel roads where we rock climb. Switching to a good Micheline all-season tire has helped. Carry as much speed as possible up the hill, and keep the gas to the floor when traction control kicks in. Pressing down on the gas tells the control system to try a bit harder. You will get a sort of "whomp-whomp-whomp" sound as the tires spin and grab, but it will keep trying, and often that is enough to get you up the hill.

Tom

8. thutchins

thutchins New Member

I'm using the stock tires (just got the car in July - hate to waste the rubber). I have reversed up it several times with no problems, only happens in forward. It's a lake house and I will have it paved someday but it will be a while.
    Guess I'll just have to do reverse for now :(

Thanks,

Tom

9. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Nov 20 2007, 05:43 PM) [snapback]542162[/snapback]</div>
    Will they affect the accuracy of the speedometer? Will I see any loss in mileage? How about ride and cornering?

Tom