1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VSC

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ron stoutenberg, Dec 1, 2018.

1. ron stoutenberg

ron stoutenberg New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    does anyone know where the control module is located for the VSC system on a 2006 prius. I have four warning lights on dash. Yellow brake,VSC, check engine,and master warning light. I suspect it could be the module for the VSC that may be defective. Any help will be appreciated.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

might be worth reading the trouble codes first

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    +1. Before you shoot the messenger, I mean replace the skid ecu, you might at least ask it what it is trying to tell you about.

ron stoutenberg likes this.
  4. ron stoutenberg

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I may have been a little out of sorts when I posted, thinking worst case senerio. auto Zone gave me uo293, poa1d, uo100, and uo111. After reading on this helpful site I suspect I can by a hybrid code reader (vx diag powered Tech stream) that might give me more complete information than Auto Zone. Appreciate all comments and tips.

Thanks for your reply, in addition to the warning lights on dash board Auto Zone checked with their code reader and came up with uo293,poa1d,uo100, and uo111. Do you think if I got a better code reader I would get better or more precise information than what Auto Zone gave me. Toyota wants $120 to scan. Also could you tell me where I can find the skid ecu on my car so I can either check it out or replace it? Feeling a little anxious with only one car to drive.

#4 ron stoutenberg, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2018
    bisco likes this.
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is located next to the steering column and the repair manual indicates you must remove all of the black plastic panels on the dashboard as well as the steering column for access. Hence, as previously suggested you should be very sure that the skid control ECU needs to be replaced before you do so.

Meg&Bear and ron stoutenberg like this.
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P0A1D is the most significant. It points to a hybrid drivetrain issue. The Toyota diagnostic system has the concept of a three digit subcode which accompanies the DTC that was retrieved. You need Toyota Techstream (Mini VCI is a clone) to retrieve the subcode.

However, the most likely possibility is an ECU error which would require replacing the hybrid vehicle ECU.

U0111 is logged by the hybrid vehicle ECU and indicates lost communications with the traction battery ECU.

U0293 is logged by the traction battery ECU and indicates it lost communications with the hybrid vehicle ECU.
    U0100 is logged by the same ECU and indicates lost comm with the engine ECU.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  7. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Read codes...And not a cheap scanner. You need the fancy one that can go into all the different systems and see all the codes.

Mine just had VSC light and it was the "Yaw Rate" sensor. A cheap scanner wouldn't show this code but the advanced one spells it right out for you. Part was $30 used on ebay and located underneath middle armrest. 5 minutes to swap.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  8. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes. If you call around you should be able to find a shop that will tell you the problem without charging you.

9. ron stoutenberg

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Patrick makes sense to me

Thanks Patrick makes sense to me. Wish I had a repair manual like you have

Thanks for the tip Patrick, where can I buy a Toyota Techstream and is that the exact name of it?

#9 ron stoutenberg, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2018