1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VVT Oil Filter? Poor MPG'S?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by edthefox5, Jun 4, 2010.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all,
    Been laid up and was reading my Haynes manual for my Prius cover to cover and under engine rebuild there's a good discussion on the Variable Valve Timing System Oil control valve and its "oil filter."

There's a separate little oil filter mounted on the front of the engine that apparently has a cartridge that needs to be cleaned and an O-Ring that must be replaced every time you clean it.I have never seen that oil filter discussed here before. And I was unaware of it myself.

It has a good explanation on the VVT operation and how it uses engine oil pressure driving the oil flow through this filter to either advance up to 21 degree's or retard the cam timing by using oil pressure against the vanes on a cam actuator. Good clean oil flow is important here.
    My point of the post here is maybe this filter is getting clogged on older Gens or Prius's that are not well oil maintained and is causing poor timing advance leading to poor fuel economy that so many
    have complained about here. Unexplained poor fuel economy posts.
    My Haynes says it will affect fuel economy if not maintained.

My car is at the bodyshop so I have been unable to look at the exact locale on the motor of this filter but my Haynes says its mounted on the front of the engine and in the picture its right next to an engine mount torsion bar. Little metal can about 3 inches long with a 2 conductor electrical connector on the end of it. Looks like one nut holds the whole can on.

I will check that filter out when I get my car back. My manual says you must replace the O-Ring seal everytime you service it.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Ed,

I am not aware of a separate oil filter associated with the VVT-i. I've attached an exploded parts diagram of the front of the engine, and you will see that there is no filter in the diagram.

Perhaps you can scan the relevant page out of the Haynes manual and post so that we can see what you are referring to?

Attached Files:

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Patrick,
    Thanks for the diagram and its the "Camshaft Oil Control Valve" on the upper right of the diagram. Apparently that is an oil filter there
    in addition to the valve. At least thats what my books says. Long discussion on it. Its the valve and oil filter all in one. Its serviceable according to my Haynes and requires and O-Ring. And it also says its on all models. Here's a pic of the illustration:

Attached Files:

ydpplqbd, audiodave and Patrick Wong like this.
  4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, Ed. I looked further and found a page in the Toyota repair manual that shows how to disassemble the filter. If this was clogged, presumably DTC P0011 or P0012 would be logged, showing that the camshaft timing differs from the amount expected by the engine ECU.

Attached Files:

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wish I had a scanner but here's a quote from the Haynes VVT System troubleshooting page:

"#8--The first check of the VVT system components begin with removing the oil control valve filter from the cylinder head and checking the filter/O Ring for clogging ( see illustration--the one I posted). Clean and reinstall the filter with a new O-ring. A clogged filter screen is often the cause of system problems."

Interesting isn't it? I could see a partially clogged filter not allowing enough oil to achieve 100% proper spark advance which would cause poor fuel economy but not bad enough to throw a code. It does say issues with this valve will throw codes but that may be no advance at all.

When I get my car back I will pop that valve out and look at it. I'm lucky in that my Toy dealer is only a mile away so getting a new O-Ring will be no issue. I'd like to see if there is actually a filter in there. I bet there is. I just thought it odd I have never seen it discussed here before..

I will report back.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very cool Patrick and that is the filter in question but that photo area looks like its really not part of the valve assy as my Haynes says but in a different area?

That area looks nothing like my photo/valve area.

Is there a better description of that engine area where that filter actually is?

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Ed,

Yes, the filter is located around 1" below the oil control valve. You will need to use a hex key socket to remove the bolt. Note in the drawing the cylinder head intake ports for cyls 1 and 2 are nearby.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks alot Patrick. I see the intake holes there in your diagram
    for referencing. When I get my car back I'll pull it out and see how it looks. It may just need to be serviced as freq. as oil changes especially if its a very fine micron filter.

And again...I wonder if this is why we see so many older car poor mpg reports. If it was partially clogged it would not allow proper advancing. Or at the least would not advance the timing as quickly.
    Making for a much less responsive motor. The driver would probably not notice the less than optimum engine performance and would push harder on the gas pedal to go making the mg's work much harder causing more traction battery use causing more engine re-charge run time and less mpg's. Not to mention poor fuel combustion
    to begin with. A driver may never notice it as a slightly retarded motor just has no pick up. No pinging just poor pickup and fuel waste.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not convinced that we see a many older car poor mpg reports, at least not for Priuses... many of these folks complaining about poor mileage seem to be newbies, some of which have bought used ones and haven't been following along on Priuschat nor read up on EPA tests (which is why they'll complain about "poor") nor measured the mileage of their old car.

I don't see a significant drop at http://avt.inl.gov/pdf/hev/04toyotaprius_ar.pdf after 160K miles nor http://avt.inl.gov/pdf/hev/end_of_life_test_1.pdf on Gen 1s.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Patrick,
    Got my car back today from the body shop. New front bumper cover and mounting bracket. New rear bumper cover,main bumper bracket,styrofoam bumper protector, and 2 new bumper mounts. $2300.

And I clearly see the hex head bolt right under the valve as you instructed. My back is bad today but as soon as I feel better I will pull that filter out and have a look and post some pictures of its cleanliness. I am mostly interested in how fine this filter is. Thanks for your help!!

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Ed,

Glad to hear your car was repaired, hope you were satisfied with the quality of the body work and painting.

Is this due to your accident? Very sorry to hear that you're still experiencing trouble; best wishes for a prompt and complete recovery!

(I'm looking forward to seeing your photos, as long as you don't hurt yourself when working on your car... :eek:)

1 person likes this.
  12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    One 'age related' cause of poor MPG can be a 12v battery with a dead cell. The inverter will be constantly trying to charge it. Since owners are used to the starter sounding slow as batteries fail, we are thrown off by the Prius which does not power a starter from the 12v battery.

If your power windows are much slower in Accessory than in Ready, suspect a bad 12v battery.

13. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi Pat, This is some startling info! that filter looks like the type of inline gasoline filter often seen on small engines and cars. I agree with Ed that this could affect fuel consumption and not show dtcs. These type of filters get clogged easily and in conjunction with oil use, VS gasoline use, may get clogged even easier. Have you had a chance to inspect this filter on your car yet? Has anybody? This could evolve into a regular maintenace check item.

1 person likes this.
  14. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I removed the entire air filter box but could not locate this small oil filter.

15. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In the 9 minutes between your posts? No.
    In the 40 hours since the very first post? Still no.

16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks dude...

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Jimbo,

Of course I'm aware of the 12 volt aux batt issue. I have seen hundreds of posts concerning that over the last 3 years I have been a member.

I'm not on a search persay about mpg issues I was just posting this filter as a new maintenance issue I have never seen before or even seen mentioned (at least by me) here on Chat ,which if never maintained (removed and cleaned and new o ring installed) by an older gen, especially one poorly maintained with dino oil could possibly lead to an unknown drivability issue and or mysterious loss of economy.

My car is a good baseline check for that filter as it's a 3 year low mile car and the oil has always been Mobil One synthetic and meticulously maintained. If I find crud in my VVT filter imagine whats going on with older less maintained cars. But on mine I don't expect to find any crud as I have very very snappy accelereration. The car is very quick. Poor advance would lead to poor acceleration.

But I am curious to see how fine a filter it is.

But I know I will pull that filter out at every oil change from now on no matter how clean the initial inspection is. I'm at 6-8K intervals with Mobil One 5-30 right now with factory filter.

ydpplqbd likes this.
  18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Andy,
    Exactly my thoughts!! I'm out of action right now but will pull it asap. Thanks!!

1 person likes this.
  19. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Time is of no importance, a relevant input is.

Sezy likes this.
  20. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :cheer2:
    I thank you Ed for discovering it.