1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VW Diesel Hybrid Concept

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by kabin, Jan 15, 2013.

1. kabin

kabin Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Announced today, a larger sized diesel-hybrid concept. They report it could also opt for a gas engine.

- 14 miles on electric
    - 35 mpg on diesel (seems optimistic)
    - overall equivalent of 89 mpg
    - sized between a Touareg and Tiguan
    - possibly starting in the mid $30k's

Volkswagen debuts CrossBlue plug-in diesel hybrid concept in Detroit | Digital Trends

Looks similar to their 2012 TDI hybrid concept:

Volkswagen Cross Coupe TDI Hybrid Concept – News – Car and Driver

2. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wouldn't mind having one! I would still prefer the Model X, but it does tick the AWD and the plug-in box ;)

'Volkswagen says it can also get 35mpg once the electric range runs out', so I guess that would be in 'hybrid' mode. Then it isn't far fetched. My Volvo AWD (presumably similar sized, diesel, non-hybrid, >3500lb net weight) gets close to 30mpg long time average. Add in the hybrid system and a decade newer engine, and I'd be disappointed if it did any less!

southernguy likes this.
  3. kabin

kabin Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I couldn't recall any hybrid of that size getting over 30 mpg. The Highlander Hybrid might be smaller and still only gets 28.

4. AdamA

AdamA New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Diesel is soooo overrated. Gas (85oct) is $2.59. Diesel is $3.58.... So you pay a dollar more per gallon, lets do it this way.

I'm going to use generic figures to save an arguement.
    Both figures will be the same 40MPG for 100 mile trip.

Gas would cost $6.48
    Diesel would cost $8.95... After I thought about it, I figured this was unfair comparsion. So, the same kind of comparsion, but using the figures from previous posts.

Toyota Highlander@28MPG vs VW diesel hybrid@35MPG

Over 100 miles again:
    Gas would cost: $9.27
    Diesel would cost: $10.20....
    The 35MPG sounds good, but the numbers don't lie.... Also, gas engines are cheaper and easier to maintain. I understand the arguement both ways, diesel does sound impressive, but if wasn't so bloody expensive. Oh, and how much is the diesel add-on from VW? I'll bet, it ain't cheap compared to the gas counterpart. Also, gas prices are cheap right now, I understand.. but Diesel is on average $.60-.75 higher than gas. Sorry for the long post. :)

5. iClaudius

iClaudius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Tesla showed off Model X at NY Auto Show. 300 miles per charge. It will be the last car I buy.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Interesting. I just had two, trips to Nashville TN and back, ~250 miles/day, and I have to admit . . . a 300 mile range, even with a 10% loss from battery age . . . would still have worked for me.

Yes, I have done 750-1,000 mile marathon trips with our hybrids and it works. But they always incorporated at least one or more 1-2 hour 'biology breaks' where I would walk around, get a nice dinner, and take a cat nap. When I'm too tired to drive safely, I find a rest area and nod-out, go 'walkies' or whatever it takes to get sharp enough to drive.

So I'm thinking motels of the future might have 'hourly' rates and a local substation (or significant on-site energy storage) and diner. You pull-in; plug-in; get a bite to eat, and; rest a bit.

Paper-sheet covered 'couches' fold can out from the walls in small, temporary, lockable rooms, dead-bolt on the inside, no key, where you can take a nap or change clothes. There would be community restrooms and staff who handle cleaning and supplies . . . automated to the max.

Oh well, an old man can dream.

Bob Wilson

7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Diesel has 117% the energy content of pure gasoline, 123% of the energy content in the gasohol they serve us in the states (E10 mandate).

So a 35mpg diesel is really a 28.5mpg gasoline vehicle when you compare energy needed to move. A gallon of diesel just has a higher energy density so when you do comparisons based on volume, that is ignored. We don't measure electric range in miles per gallon if we could shove batteries into a gallon container. But that is essentially what we do with gas vs. diesel.

This VW will have about the same as a HiHy.

The 300mile charge is EPA 260-ish I think. The 300mile claim is at 55mph. It also only applies to the $20K option of the 85KWh pack. However the 85KWh pack offered in the X (top of the line normal, and all signatures) offer a 8year unlimited mile warranty as opposed to a time and year warranty.

I have my reservation down for an X, it will be a great car. I will be interested to see how it does in the Rocky Mountains. The dual quick charge of 60 miles per hour is pretty impressive too.

8. david_cary

david_cary Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Adam - where is gas $2.59? Your price differential is higher than most people.

In my area gas is $3.40/Premium $3.80/ Diesel $3.90. You pay about the energy difference so it is a wash for the most part.

So 35 mpg is totally doable which is about the Highlander's mileage as someone pointed out. It should be noted that diesel's tend to do relatively better than gas engines compared to the EPA on the open road. It is another way of saying the EPA is biased against diesels.

9. iClaudius

iClaudius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The long trips are pretty rare for most folks. A 300 mile range is pretty much a full tank of gas for most cars on the road today and covers 99% of driving.

I fly over that range for time reasons. I'd probably adapt my travel to fly, bus or train for longer distances and stay where I didn't need a car at the destination, typically a resort or a city business meeting where I don't need a car.

Boosting public transport while evolving to 300 mile range electrics sounds easy enough.

10. kabin

kabin Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The diesel energy content argument didn't do much for the Jetta Diesel vs Jetta Hybrid fuel economy comparisons.

11. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
  12. AdamA

AdamA New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wyoming

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A 35mpg diesel is 31.4mpge to gasoline and 30.3mpge to E10. Slightly better than a HiHy. Not much better. Of course the HiHy doesn't have a plug. For those with the need, it will likely have a better tow rating.